Revell 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla

Thunnus

I also liked the chalk wash. I'll have to try it. How do you grind the pigments? I've found scraping it off with a blade results in some pretty large particles, and sanding it just gums up my sandpaper

Thanks for the positive comments... very much appreciated!

Just caught up on this thread. Wow. The commitment to detail on the construction really shows through in that flawless paint finish. Your airbrush control is impressive. What are you using?

Thank you!  I'm using a Iwata HP CS Plus.  I think my move to highly thinned paint mixes has helped my control and the quality of the finish.  I am using a 4:1 thinner:paint ratio for the Tamiya and Mr Hobby acrylics.

John,

I really like this wash of yours.  I used it recently and thought the effect much better than doing a traditional pin wash.

Gaz

I think this is the old-school method when there were no companies offering wash/pigment products.

I also liked the chalk wash. I'll have to try it. How do you grind the pigments? I've found scraping it off with a blade results in some pretty large particles, and sanding it just gums up my sandpaper

I just gently scrape it off using an x-acto blade, blade perpendicular to the chalk.  It produces a very fine dust... no large particles.

Thanks so much for the comments guys!  I'm at a point where I need some prolonged time on the bench to power through some weathering but it might be a few days til I get that opportunity.  As of now, I've just STARTED on a bit of the post-shading work, including adding the exhaust stains.  The post-shading is done by spraying a very watery mixture of brownish-black along panel lines and other recessed areas.

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

The panel line post-shading is kept super subtle... I just want a hint of brown to give the impression of dirt wear along the seams.  I apply heavier amounts  around the engine, the exhaust trail and also on the bottom aft of the oil cooler.

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

I'll be back in a couple of days to continue the weathering.

Edited by Thunnus