Hasegawa 1/32 Messerschmitt Bf 109K-4 IV/JG 53

This model is the last in my stash of 109s (for now!) and the last in a series of quick builds that I've been working on. This one, however, took a little more work, given the more complex paint scheme and some extra details that I added. In addition to the basic kit, I added an Eagle Parts spinner with the cannon blast tube made from aluminum tubing. The main focus was to correct some of the details on the belly, as the Hasegawa kit misses some of them, as they pertain to the K-4. A big "Thank you!" goes out to fellow member, Mike Horina, for hooking me up with a great article on how to go about doing that. The kit cockpit has some additional scratchbuilt bits to enhance the cannon breach cover, Revi reflector sight, new oxygen hose and some additional wiring. I also added PE rudder pedals from my spares and some added bits to the canopy and rear deck. The paints are mostly Model Master enamels and I weathered with oils and pastels. Most of the markings on this one are painted on. I used Maketar masks for the first time and they happened to be the Kabuki tape style masks. Since I'm used to using Montex vinyl masks, this was new for me and I found the kabuki type to be much more challenging to apply. However, they do stick better and I think they gave one of the cleanest masking jobs I've ever done. I highly recommend them if you have the patience for it, or have a few full-on masking jobs under your belt. The rest of the markings (stencils, Wk. Nmr. and tail hakenkreuz) are from an Eagle Editions set, which also went on very well. There's probably more that I forgot, but it was a flurry of activity, so I didn't document much. I just dove in swinging and came out with this. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers!

John

The original plane that I was trying to duplicate.

510729549-190682e134-o.jpg

And, my interpretation:

BW1.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

Top-2.jpg

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Your interpretation is totally wrong : if you look closely your reference picture you will see that this aircraft lacks its canopy. :) 

Lol !

John, that one more incredible 109 ! The black and white picture compared with the original one is just incredible. It's hard to spot any detail that doesnt match the original. Very impressive analyse ! 

You really did a great job. 

Guest Airfixer

Yap, looks pretty much like a Kurfuerst. 

:goodjob:

Except for a couple of characteristic features found on...lalala...

Naaaah, let's just forget about it! Just kidding...your K-4 is way too nice to start nitpicking!

Well done! :thumbsup:

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

Yap, looks pretty much like a Kurfuerst.

:goodjob:

Except for a couple of characteristic features found on...lalala...

Naaaah, let's just forget about it! Just kidding...your K-4 is way too nice to start nitpicking!

Well done! :thumbsup:

Erik

Thanks, Erik!

Yeah, I know of at least a couple more things I could have done. Also, I decided to leave the outboard gear doors absent. I could not see them in the photo and I know that not all K's Used them. After determing that detailing those doors would be more work than I wanted to do, I talked myself into believing that this one didn't have any!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels