Would there be any interest in a resin piece to correct the HK B-17 no

Karl H

Just wondering if there would be interest in a resin part for the top of the nose of the HK B-17's. Bulkhead 3 is not round as the kit has it. Starting at 1A, the nose gradually flattens out. This changes the profile, the windscreen, and the instrument panel. Some have noticed, some have not. And some who have noticed are not bothered by it. So at this point, I am just wondering how many folks would buy the corrected nose piece. It would be a resin insert for the upper nose. This drawing used the Boeing information and you can see the difference:

HK%20Bulkhead%203%20fix_zpsrbams14i.jpg

Yes, it would have to include a new windscreen and panel. Right now, I am just seeing if there is interest. Price is a good question - around 40 bucks is what I am hearing from a fellow who might be interested in doing it. I can provide the research, he can do the resin bits.

I think that arguement stands for every kit that has ever been released with errors in it!!!

Karl, if I built USAAF types I'd certainly like to take one. It will vastly improve the look of an already splendid looking model. I hope you have every success with the project.

Edited by wunwinglow

Whils not a customer for the kit, I'd say it is paramount to make the correction process simple and foolproof. Otherwise I am not sure many will take the risk to butcher a $ 300 kit.

Hubert

PS : by "foolproof" I mean clear drawings, or even better a template of whre to cut the kit and plug in the new parts.

That is an excellent suggestion, I will pass that on. I am not saying it is a horrible, unbuildable kit. There are many aftermarket corrections for kits that may or may not seem significant. This is just for those that wish to change it a bit.

Ok ... the information for correct research was out there - yes ... whether the team at HK Model had readily, cost effective, available access to that information is up for debate.

Years can be spent in research and design before production ... with errors still evident at the end of it ... The Special Hobby Tempest Mk.V nose springs to mind. Most people will ignore it - some people are extremely passionate about it.

As such, a correction has been made (Barracuda, I believe??).

There are subjects recently kitted all over the place (by a wide variety of manufacturers - not just one or two!!) that could have had obvious errors corrected ... for what ever reason they weren't ... every kit has errors and the question of correcting them (if they can be!!) is a personal choice.

The "why wasn't it fixed?" argument is just as irrelevant as the "Stop whinging and just build it" one ... it is what it is ... either buy the kit and fix it to how you'd like it ... or build it as is ... or don't buy it at all.

I say ... if there is enough interest, why not? ... it's obvious that there are people who are extremely passionate about this particular subject and although I'd build it OOB ... I'd definitely be interested to see what the correction set looks like - and whether there's a noticeable difference that encourages me to shell out the cash ... My only question would be - which variant will it be made for? One ... or all?

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

As far as I'm concerned, I'll definitely purchase a correction set. Count me in. I was going to attempt the changes myself, but would definitely buy a correction set-- should make the job easier and better.

Also as far as I am concerned, discussing again who or what is to blame for the nose problem serves little purpose. Frankly, I'm tired of it. I would much rather discuss how to fix the problem as this thread has set out to do. Thank you.

Bill M.