Would there be any interest in a resin piece to correct the HK B-17 no

Karl H

First yes the kit has a slight problem with the nose.

However the kit had been out for over three months before anyone even noticed there was a problem it's so small.

Fair enough if the nose looked like the Concorde but it doesn't.

I can't see the sense in hacking the nose off a gorgeous kit worth $400 bucks to fix a problem that is so small 99% of guys didn't notice it until clearly shown.

First tooling a piece of Hollow resin this size with similar detail would be beyond the best resin manufacturers.

Maintaining constant detail between injected and resin will be incredibly difficult and basically impossible to do. The disjuncture will be clear and far more noticeable than the original problem.

Getting the shape correct to blend in almost impossible at this size.

Getting the fit of the clear parts also incredibly difficult.

New resin clear parts will never gave the clarity of kit parts which will no longer fit.

All of this to fix a problem that is small in most people scheme of things compared to others.

Good luck if you choose to do it but practically speaking the inconsistency in resin quality and consistency means if you sell them good luck with the complaints about fit and quality of replacement clear parts.

I can't think of a more difficult or problematic project anyone has ever done or contemplated doing including a Brutish F-4 conversion which would be easy by comparison.

All to fix a subtle problem most people won't know about or notice..

I love guys who love the planes but the practicality of being able to create a fix would be beyond the skills of most to make and certainly beyond the skills of most to apply.

Is this correction set needed for the new B-17F as well?

"Needed" is a strong term ... "Highly desired" by more than just a few is more apt  ... since no changes were made to the fuselage moulds apart from the waist gunners window location - then yes, the nose shape is still a little off.

Personally I would say that the whole assembled kit tends to look a little "chubby" when compared with the real deal ...

So ... have yourself a look at a straight up build from out of the box and ask yourself ... can I live with that? ... if the answer is yes ... then I wouldn't bother anyway!! (I knew about it and it didn't stress me out - I've got both kits!)

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Well Darren,

All of your technical remarks are correct but you are forgetting two major points here:

First, the nose correction part does not need to be larger than two square inches! So, this stays totally possible within a reasonable quality control margin.

Second, the front part of the windscreen may be easily redone from any clear plastic sheet as far as a good template is given. In that case, there is no need for clear resin.

So, to me, this IS possible but will only be for experienced modellers. In any case, who is purchasing a 400$ kit besides them...?

If the set is well designed, the complexity will be nowhere like casting a 2 feet resin fuselage!

Hence, I would say go for it!

Happy new year!

Thierry

There was a similar correction made for the 1/72 space shuttle kit when it came back out a few years ago. It was a "beanie cap" correction as the designer called it. It came with glass slide covers for microscope use and templates. Simply scribing flat glass and you had real glass windows. Since then I have used the scribe and bought more slide covers since they make gread HUD's for my 1/32 kits.

This fix doesn't sound that grim to do!! Just hack the offending area away, slap it full of balsa, tooling board, filler, whatever! Sand it to shape. Replace the window frames and reglaze with 0.5mm acrylic. Or vacform a replacement nose top and ditto. Or 3d CAD and print a replacement nose top. and ditto. Or wait for the suggested correction set which sounds like a very sensible approach. Or leave it if you don't think it is worth it.

I would fix it if I had one. The windscreen looks way too scrunched up, like it is looking straight into the sun, as it is. It isn't a big deal, but it isn't a difficult fix either.

And truly, worse things happen at sea..... It is ONLY a plastic model!!

Karl,

I'll buy at least one. It may even entice me into buying another late B-17G. It'll be a definite necessity when the early G gets popped since HK has, by performance, indicated that they're not willing to correct the molds (albeit a very expensive thing to do for a seemingly minor ROI).

To correct another "Darrenism"... the error in the B-17G nose was noted (and discussed) when the test shot was shown at the Shizuoka Hobby Show (if memory serves) months prior to its release, it just wasn't discussed here. It wasn't discussed here at LSP because the kit hadn't been released yet.  When it was discussed, it  turned into a witch hunt for anybody that wasn't in the "just be thankful you have a 1/32 B-17G, build it and shut up" crowd.  I'll be all over that conversion if it's done.  With Karl on the job, I'm hoping we'll have at least one for the  recently released E/F and another for the G (first release and hopefully forthcoming early 17G).

Edited by Juggernut

Just so you guys know, this isn't something I would be doing. I just suggested to someone who has the capability to do this sort of thing. He was wondering if there was enough interest in it to pursue it. I will provide him with the information and he will see what he can do. We both realize that it needs to be kept straight forward, have all the pieces to complete the project, and keep the price somewhat reasonable. I will pass on what I have learned here and on other sites and we will see what happens. We know it will be a very limited audience.

It will be a lot less work than my Tornado F3 conversion. That has a major fuselage plug, a minor plug, new nose, fin base, spar, fuel tanks, missiles..... And I am up to about 40 requests for copies without any advertising!

Edited by wunwinglow

Yes, I would definitely be interested...thanks!

Anyone have any info on making the fix manually?

One can sand the flat into the plastic nose (you'd actually need to build up the plastic on the inside to get it right) and instrument panel but to correct the squashed windscreeen wouldn't be an easy thing to do.  You can see for yourself what's involved in doing in manually in brahman104's build thread here:  http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=54022

He's done a lot more than most of us would do (as his is a conversion to a B-17D) but you can judge for yourself the extent of work involved.

Edited by Juggernut

Thanks Jug,

I've only just seen this thread but I'm keen for two of these if they get up and running. I was prepared to do a similar thing with my E and F to get the nose correct because I feel it's important enough, but if you have been following my thread you know how much work it is.

The main reason mine was so much work was due to the nose/cockpit section actually being situated further aft on the early models; something I didn't fully appreciate until after I'd started.

I think this is potentially a much better and cleaner option than what I've done and I'm all for it if it gets produced, otherwise I'll be doing my own anyway.

Bring it on Karl!

Craig

The distance between the HK shape and the correct shape shown in Karl's Blkhd 3 illustration below, should be approximately 1/8" (~4 scale inches) in 1/32 scale at 12:00 at the windscreen interface.  That is, if my calculations are in the ballpark.

HK%20Bulkhead%203%20fix_zpsrbams14i.jpg

Edited by Juggernut