SH plans 1/32 Westland Whirlwind, Sea Fury and Typhoon.

Jan_K

I think this is great, Special Hobby need to be congratulated, when I look at my stash and into my display cabinets I am seeing quite a lot of their kits in there, subjects that I thought I would never see are now coming out, so thank you Special; Hobby.

PS a Fulmar would be nice !

Cheers

Dennis

At least they have not tried to fit in an imaginary wing to fuselage fairing as every other manufacturer has done, but they seem to have tried to get a bit of a concave curve at the rear fuselage section where it joins the trailing edge. All I can find suggests no curve but nothing a smidgen of putty wont fix if need be. Bring it on, two on pre-order already.

As I was in the process of weighing up the MDC resin Typhoon kit, (is a full resin kit the size of a Tiffie stable enough/ worth the investment/ the hours of grinding away material) lo and behold one of the hoped for extensions to the Hawker fighter stable is announced!

And by Special Hobby too, who do great work!

And at likely 66% of the price!

While I was planning on just a bubble-top version, I guess I should have realized that since my two Hurricanes morphed seamlessly into needing four, (a 2-bladed fabric wing Mk1, a BoB DH prop Mk 1, a IIC Rotol prop one in mid-war Euro theatre colours - but then, do I need flat spring AND round spring Hispano versions?? -  and a desert camo, Vickers 40mm armed Mk IV) a car door 3-bladed Tiffie, and a Tempest-tailplaned, 4-bladed bubble-top are probably the minimum.

The other releases are welcome, but not immediately on my 'to get' list.

Although the prospect of a twin-Merlin engined Whirlwind (wing suitably enlarged to cope) as a radar-equipped, tandem cockpit 4x20mm nightfighter 'what if' does have some big-scale appeal.

Edited by Chek

Well done Special Hobby for providing us with some mouth-watering alternatives to the usual (I'm trying to be restrained here) "stuff" like the recently announced Revell catalogue. I sincerely hope they upscale their 1/48th Airspeed Oxford which with a bit of care built up into a lovely little model. I love the Whirlwind, not least because it was built 20 miles away from me in Yeovil and operated 50 miles away from Warmwell so for that reason alone I'll be getting one, and also the Typhoon even though my Revell one is on the cusp of completion.

Max

The one thing I, and indeed others I know have noticed more recently, is that Special Hobby (plus Fly,SW etc) seem to have their ears firmly planted to the ground when it comes to doing 1/32 aircraft subjects in resin and IM that have been ignored for years!

Not only those, some bold decisions taken years ago on other subjects in our scale which would seem to be somewhat esoteric to some were delivered and still available today and selling. Who else would do them?

Are we seeing the start of a new Eastern European domination in all the major scales in our hobby, both in terms of design and production. 

This can only be a good thing, I for one fully support these companies by buying their products in numbers.

When these small companies start changing the habits of the bigger ones (Revell instruction sheets to name just one) then you know we are in for seismic change further down the road within the hobby itself at some point in time.

Good luck to all these companies, they deserve our overwhelming support so please whenever you can......buy and keep the dreams coming!!!!  

Most Czechs would regard being called Eastern European, a little bit insulting. They are in Central Europe, after all..

True...Czech Duchy/Kingdom was integral part of Holy Roman Empire since 11th century, 1620 - 1918 part of Austrian Empire, more or less independent since then. Fact we were occupied by Russians for some decades does not make us "East".

Nice picture!

Edited by Jan_K