"Die Bergung" 2/JG400 Germany 1945 - Schlepper work

Out2gtcha

Dutik, Shawn Iain, thanks for stopping in on me!   

Iain, yes, I concur, that once done I think they will be fine. Im planning on separating the figures quite a bit, and as was stated above with the "small stature" requirements to fit in the 163 cockpit as well as obvious natural differences in human height, I think in the end it should be just fine.

I actually HAVE been working on this one! Although its quite boring "non-pic-worthy" type stuff, like sanding, smoothing, priming and fitting. I did happen to get a start on improving some of the Profimodeller parts.................some of the stuff they provide is really great, and some not so much. The assembly of the rear part of the Schlepper has a lot of detail to it, but the forward facing grab handles on the rear are provided by Profimodeller in some SUPER thin and delicate resin, but I scratched up some new parts out of wire.

Also, Profimodeller provides the 4 main bolts that hold the rear section of the Schlepper together that attach either the rear wheel OR the Anhanger trailer in resin, but they provide the accompanying nuts in PE.

The PE nuts obviously are very flat looking and provide no realistic looking detail, so after I scratched the grab handles, I made up some nuts out of some octagon hex rod.

Its not finished yet, and I know it doesnt look like much yet, but its still a work in progress, but the details are starting to come:

2016-07-30%2022.21.01.jpg

2016-07-30%2022.20.57.jpg

2016-07-30%2022.20.41.jpg

Thats all for this small update. I spent the remainder of the weekend after scratching those small parts finish sanding, then priming all parts. Next on the docket will be spraying some aluminum/steel color for the under layer prior to spraying a layer of chipping fluid, follow later by a top coat of acrylic dunkelgelb from Model Master.

Cheers! 

Looking great Brian!

Have to say the Profimodeller Schlepper and 163 trailer are amongst the most fiddly modelling projects I've tackled - and still working on mine!!

Iain

200% agreed!    Seems every SINGLE time I even brush NEAR this little thing I knock something off!   Plus it seems like everything needs some kind of shaving, sanding or otherwise dry fitment prior to installation.  

Then add the butt load of PE and its a finger/brain masher!   Fortunately I really love PE (like some sick infatuation not unlike rigging :rolleyes: ) and I have the "hold and fold" PE break, that has come in SUPER handy for getting all those large PE sections folded straight. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Good on ya for persevering and getting the fuselage put together and closed up Brian. It makes you appreciate the extra effort even more once it's done although you'll likely never forget what it took to get it there. That's part of the fun we have in this hobby, right? The schlepper looks really interesting too. What you've done so far looks really good under the white primer. Tamiya's?

Cheers,

Wolf

I actually HAVE been working on this one! Although its quite boring "non-pic-worthy" type stuff, like sanding, smoothing, priming and fitting.

Cheers! 

Interesting you should say that, Brian. I'm reminded of a thread that I started here a very long time ago, concerning what, if anything, is too much posting of irrelevant "stuff". I think I tend to be guilty of trivial updates, but I figure progress is progress, so I keep plodding along with the updates.

Andy, Ray, Wolf, K2, Alan, thanks one and all for stopping in on me.

Interesting you should say that, Brian. I'm reminded of a thread that I started here a very long time ago, concerning what, if anything, is too much posting of irrelevant "stuff". I think I tend to be guilty of trivial updates, but I figure progress is progress, so I keep plodding along with the updates.

Haha, I actually lied, I love ANY and ALL pics in a build thread, including stuff others might consider "boring" like sanding and dry fitting pics................I was just so @#$ed off at the time that it wasnt going faster, that I wanted to just power through it all, and got too lazy to take pics. :lol: 

Ive been plodding away at this one, but some of the time has been taken with my new Silhouette Portrait cutter.  The results are nothing but phenomenal IMHO:

Work on the Werks.......first try out..........either real lucky or my guesses were accurate on cutting depth and settings...........or maybe a bit of both:

2016-08-03%2017.29.02.jpg

Can get PLENTY small enough to get the size I need for the 163 tail codes:

2016-08-03%2016.53.44.jpg

Found a bunch of high-res Luftwaffe emblems, so I proceeded to load them into the Portrait cutter..........This is getting fun now, and seemingly way too easy:

2016-08-06%2017.26.06.jpg

After spraying the primer, then some white Alclad, I finished up the Schlepper exhausts. This was just a time filler whilst the chipping fluid I shot after the Alclad dries. As I normally find with my photography, the exhausts look way better in person than in pics. It might not reflect it in these but Im quite happy with the way they turned out; not to abused, but definitely used:

2016-08-06%2016.18.06.jpg

2016-08-06%2016.18.42.jpg

2016-08-06%2016.19.08.jpg

After I finished up the exhausts and the chipping fluid dried, I shot some dunkelgelb in the interior of the Schlepper only, as I didnt want to glue the engine, transmission or any of the stuff to the base of the interior of the Schlepper to a base of paint with the highly fragile chipping fluid under it, so this is the Schlepper and its parts prior to assembly:

2016-08-06%2017.52.05.jpg

2016-08-06%2017.51.40.jpg

2016-08-06%2017.51.29.jpg

2016-08-06%2018.09.01.jpg

Ill glue the engine, trans and the rest of the interior (witch once the rear decking is on, you can see NONE of)  plating together and do any sanding, trimming or fitting needed.  Then I will touch up the silver base, shoot the rest of the exterior w/chipping fluid, and continue the paint process after the exterior joints have been cleaned up.