Yak-3 Normandie Niemen expected in August

Jan_K

A few more CAD renderings on the Special Hobby website. Looks like the resin items will be some cockpit bits, the radio, wheels and exhausts. Looks like etch belts rather than HGW ones this time around. But at the price they're offering I'm not complaining! Just over half the price I paid for my Tempest.

Special Hobby just posted pics on their Facebook page of CAD for cockpit, exhaust, wheels and such for the Hi-Tech release. Looks great so far.

-Shane

Edited by wrbrdmech

A few more CAD renderings on the Special Hobby website. Looks like the resin items will be some cockpit bits, the radio, wheels and exhausts. Looks like etch belts rather than HGW ones this time around. But at the price they're offering I'm not complaining! Just over half the price I paid for my Tempest.

Hi Ade - I could only find an 'add to wishlist' option at the SH site. 

Were you able to advance order it there, or just through Big H?

Hi Ade - I could only find an 'add to wishlist' option at the SH site.

Were you able to advance order it there, or just through Big H?

Charles, I ordered my Tempest direct through Special Hobby but I've ordered the Yak through Hannants as they had/have a 10% discount for advance orders, think it came out at £39 and some pennies. The Tempest I think was closer to £60 when I got that, don't recall the exact price as I had a large order for other things from Special Hobby at the time. I could have sworn they had an add to cart feature for the Yak last week when I was ordering mine, because it worked out cheaper ordering from Hannants this time because the £ is having a crap time. Given I was on night shifts last week I could also have easily imagined the whole thing in one of my lack of sleep hazy moments. Edited by ade rowlands

I promise I don't have shares in it, I just find Flickr a great source for photos and can't help but recommend it for reference shots.

An excellent selection of Duxford's Yak-3 in two liveries, on the ground and airborne can be seen at:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=yak%203%20duxford

The underside shots will be particularly helpful I think. Though how many liberties have been taken

to produce a modern flying warbird compared to an authentic period piece, I'm not qualified to say.

(Produced to original specs by Yakovlev in 1993).

Edited by Chek

My bad! I thought Aeropoxy did a Yak-9, but it is a Yak-3 also. Montex released a Yak-1b.

Just yesterday I had occasion to be perusing the Kagero site, and was reminded once again about this book, one of many that I have on my "want" list.

Awesome ...

I haven't really spent much time looking at the evolution of Soviet A/C ...

I have the IL2M (Stalingrad era) ... but nothing else ... I was looking at HpH's La.7 and Trumpeters MiG.3 as potentials as well as this one!

Anyone know how the above fare??

Rog 

• 1 month later...

The Yak 3 is a good choice I think, an attractive and important aircraft, and finally another Soviet fighter. I hope it does well so that SH are tempted to do others, I think a lot of people would like to see a Yak 9 of any version. 

I will definitely be buying at least one of these.

Richard