1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Although I can appreciate fully both sides of opinion on the base, I like the mirrored version much more. It focuses totally on the airframe and allows full observation.

The only distraction maybe other objects reflecting in the mirror.

Looks lovely though.....

Best regards;

Steve

No words, so :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Among the 10,000 details on this "model" I love, I really like how the blue paint on the windscreen and canopy have some wear, revealing aluminum underneath.  It is subtle, but still there- and perfect, just like the rest of this build.  I also like how you shared you're many challenges, like vacu-forming the canopy and painting of the stripes, etc..  While you were obviously frustrated at times, we knew you'd fix every single problem.  There was never any doubt and I look forward to the very happy ending!

Cheers,

Chuck

Totally agreed Mark.  I like the idea of groundwork and tie-downs to go along with this in situ. As you pointed out, the textural differences will make a very unique looking display. 

The mirror idea is a good one, especially for judges, but this is not an ordinary model. I firmly believe that with this particular model, its not necessary, as everything speaks for itself if the BEST of ways.

Although seeing the underside would be awesome on the base, Id rather see it in context, like its sitting there ready to fire up for the Gold race! 

While I agree with the above, I would like to see how the base looks before I committed to anything.  If the diorama isn't perfect, it will detract from the model, which obviously is perfect.  In that case, the good 'ol simple mirror would be the way to go.

Cheers,

Chuck

If the diorama isn't perfect, it will detract from the model, which obviously is perfect.  In that case, the good 'ol simple mirror would be the way to go.

Seems like a good assessment. Especially if Peter himself doesn't like the base.   In this case I actually like the idea of the groundwork base more than the actual base itself. In this case, it seems closer to how I felt about my SU;

I put SO much work into a side of the model that would never normally be seen that the mirror added a whole new dimension to the look on the contest table.  In THIS case however, the model itself is in a WHOLE new class of realism and a mirror will only let more of that be seen IMHO. 

Peter, your Spitfire looks truly beautiful. It is a testament to your skill and craftsmanship throughout. Marvellous job.

I'm glad that you found a base that you're satisfied with. I can see your reasoning about mounting the model on a mirror but I've always found mirrored bases confusing and distracting. For me, a model as realistic as this should be shown on a realistic base which heightens the authentic look in my eyes. Of course, I'm in the minority and as we can see, the mirror is a very popular choice. Good job.

Now a question. May I ask if you plan on creating a flat spot on the main gear tyres at all?

Having followed along with this build online I would love to see it in the flesh. Your Spitfire would be worth the price of admission to Telford in the autumn on it's own.

Exceptional in every respect. Bravo.

Cheers.

Just a thought and only thrown in as an excuse to add to the justly deserved admiration of your model;

any high gloss paint finish will act as a mirror with black being particularly good- spray finish on the reverse of sheet glass or plastic being the simple way to get a pristine finish. This can be a useful option where the display item itself has a near mirror quality and offers the eye some help in distinguishing between the real and the reflected.

Les