B-25J "Old Ironsides III" - HK Models 1/32 - 'Finished

kkarlsen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kent,

I stayed the course and finished reading all 12 pages at one seating. I've seen many a super detailed model in my 40 years on and off in the hobby, but none that compares to the over all level that you maintained throughout your build while staying true to the origins of the actual aircraft. Your ability to create

parts  like the heating system, or scratch out a better part then a After Market item is truly world class.

Joel

Kent,

I stayed the course and finished reading all 12 pages at one seating. I've seen many a super detailed model in my 40 years on and off in the hobby, but none that compares to the over all level that you maintained throughout your build while staying true to the origins of the actual aircraft. Your ability to create

parts  like the heating system, or scratch out a better part then a After Market item is truly world class.

Joel

Thank you for your kind words, Joel. This was really a 'tour de force' in every way! I was looking for a story behind one of the B-25J's. I need this to keep my motivation on such a massive undertaking, but I never imagined finding this 'treasure'. The real story behind Catch-22, is really fascinating and it kept me going through this project. Have you had time to watch some of the footage from 'training during combat' on youtube? It's incredible stuff!

Regards: Kent

Thank you for your kind words, Joel. This was really a 'tour de force' in every way! I was looking for a story behind one of the B-25J's. I need this to keep my motivation on such a massive undertaking, but I never imagined finding this 'treasure'. The real story behind Catch-22, is really fascinating and it kept me going through this project. Have you had time to watch some of the footage from 'training during combat' on youtube? It's incredible stuff!

Regards: Kent

Kent,

I have only watched some of the footage on You Tube, but I'm planning on watching all of it over the next few days.

Unfortunately, I really don't have the display space for such a large mode as the B-25J. I built  a enhanced 1/48 scale Accurate Miniatures B-25B. It's ok, but no where the level that you've shown possible.

Joel 

Hi Joel

In fact, no problem on the cowling dimensions entirely.

The problem is on the installation point of the fuselage

The problem is solved when the connection point is shifted down 1-2 mm.

You can see test fitting of the cowling on page 4.

Tolga,

Since I'm about ready to buy the Hasegawa P-47D bubble and some AM parts, the cowling issue is of concern to me. So you're saying that by lowering the mounting point of the cowling it now fits correctly both on the top and bottom. So the top would  have been 1-2 mm to high.

Joel

Thank you for this information, i am getting ready to start this same model. If i can ask for a bit of clarification, is it a matterof chopping off the attachment point and eyeballing a move down 1-2 mm? Did you simply glue the point lower?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but i want to make sure i understand.

Thanks,

Bill from California.

Apologies, it appears i messed something up and posted on the wrong thread.

This gives me the opportunity to thank you for sharing an amazing build. Catch 22 is a favorite of mine.

Sorry about the zig zag over to a p47 cowling question.

Bill from California.

Found this thread while researching the B-25 Old Ironsides III.  I recently, as of two days ago obtained a couple of photos from April 1945 from the family of another 488th bombardier.  Turns out he and Heller had time a year apart on the same 25.  Thought you might like to see Old Ironsides with more paint, now completely covering the fuselage outside of the name.

Dan

Oldironsides32_zpsalnjtwjk.jpg

Ironside31_zpsxfrhj4ni.jpg

Found this thread while researching the B-25 Old Ironsides III.  I recently, as of two days ago obtained a couple of photos from April 1945 from the family of another 488th bombardier.  Turns out he and Heller had time a year apart on the same 25.  Thought you might like to see Old Ironsides with more paint, now completely covering the fuselage outside of the name.

Dan

Oldironsides32_zpsalnjtwjk.jpg

Ironside31_zpsxfrhj4ni.jpg

Fantastic! Just when you think you can't find more information anywhere, something like this happens! Great...

I got this photo from Dominique Taddei of Old Ironsides III in the air - Covered with olive drab from 1945...

7698-050717074801-118701612.jpeg

Thank you! Kent

Edited by kkarlsen