Tamiya DH Mosquito FB VI- Stickers! Err, decals.

BloorwestSiR

Hi Carl,

I've just found this thread and like what you've accomplished so far. Good stuff.

I shall try to follow this as often as possible to see how this uber kit builds up.

So far, things are extremely encouraging.

Cheers.

Thanks Geedubelyer, I'm watching your F-14 build since I have one of those to get to at some point.

Hi Carl,

Good build thread :)

I am following your thread for sure.

The Tamiya Mossie is probably my next purchase :)

Stephane

Hi Stephane, great to see so many Canadians on here. I don't think you can go wrong with purchasing this kit. Except if you don't build it of course.

Hi Carl,

Wow what a start, mine arrived this week so I will be watching your build closely.

:popcorn:  :popcorn:

Regards

Richard

Well Richard, get started on it then! That way I won't be the only one building this lovely kit.

Fantastic thread here. The engines are gorgeous. Like the pic which shows all the sprues. What a treasure! :)

Chris

Thanks Chris, the only problem is there are so many sprues that i can be a bit of a pain finding the right one.

Continuing my random jumps in the build, I built up the pilot's seat next:

IMG_20150702_224126.jpg

IMG_20150702_224417.jpg

Then it was onto the engine cradles. The right and left cradles are not identical and Tamiya stress this in the instructions several times in order that you don't mix them up. They even suggest that you apply a piece of tape indicating which is which.

This is the right side one:

IMG_20150702_224142.jpg

The post with the tape on it forms the core of the MLG legs. By designing it this way, you can attach the lower gear legs after assembly. There are also parts of the sprue tree that you leave attached to the cradles so you don't break off the braces during construction. A lot of thought and engineering has gone into this which is very impressive.

IMG_20150702_224153.jpg

Mine's coming from HLJ so it'll be a while before it shows up but the price was right. I'll follow your build and hope there are no "issues" to contend with. I expect my HK Mk IV to be here later this week or very early next week.

3 of us are waiting for our Mossies from HLJ.......mine is going right to the bench.

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Excellent progress on with each update I am more and more amazed at the detail Papa Tamiya bestowed on us.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

3 of us are waiting for our Mossies from HLJ.......mine is going right to the bench.

I hope you start a WiP on your build. It'll be nice to see another one being built plus you might find something I miss.

Omg that's it then, this kit is terrible flawed, on the Mossie the engine bearers were interchangable just like the undercarriage legs and horizontal tailplane.

Hahahaha

Cees

My bad. The engine bearers are the same but the firewall is different you'll be happy to know :P  There are also some small detail changes on the engines too.

The MLG legs and tailplanes are identical as well. 

Carl

Excellent progress on with each update I am more and more amazed at the detail Papa Tamiya bestowed on us.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! The build is coming along nicely. Just wish I had more time to keep working on it.

Speaking of which, here's what I managed to get done in the last couple of nights.

I removed the main wing spar and added some of the bulkheads to it where the MLG bays are.

IMG_20150703_213248.jpg

IMG_20150703_213254_1.jpg

I did a quick test fit of the upper and lower wing skins and the fit is perfect. Nothing to interfere and the a very positive fit. 

Back to the engine cradles, I assembled the second one and as mentioned above, the engine bearers are the same for each but the firewall and the arms that extend behind the firewall are different.

IMG_20150703_222908.jpg

Then it was onto the MLG legs.

Here is one set assembled and attached to their jig with the parts to the second one beside it.

IMG_20150705_110016.jpg

Depending on which version you build, you have to trim off part of the guards.

IMG_20150705_110059.jpg

I then carefully shaved off the stumps from the leg so that it looks better.

IMG_20150705_110328.jpg

And the finished leg.

IMG_20150705_110604.jpg

There's an additional brace to add and again, you have to remove part of it based on the version you're building.

IMG_20150705_110641.jpg

IMG_20150705_110836.jpg

For seam cleanup, I've been using the above tool. I think it's a creamic blade but I'm not 100% certain. It works much like you would use an X-acto in scraping away a seam but is finer. Plus there's no chance of it snagging and taking a gouge of plastic out. It works really well for removing ejector pin marks in tight places.

Here's the jig/holder Tamiya includes for when you join the two legs together.

IMG_20150705_111724.jpg

And in use on both sets of gear legs:

IMG_20150705_111758.jpg

Not a great pic, but these are all the sprues that have a part on it that needs to be painted silver. 

IMG_20150705_224404.jpg

And a bunch of parts painted with Mr Metal Color aluminium.

IMG_20150705_224427.jpg

These are the lower gear legs, the retracting arms for the MLG, and the oil cooler tanks.

IMG_20150705_224427.jpg

And the engine bearers:

IMG_20150705_224435.jpg

That's it for now. More soon.

Carl

Thanks guys, just a small update today. Hopefully I'll get some time at the bench tonight after the boys are down.

I decided to continue work on the engine bays and painted the bearers with XF-71 interior green. Because I had already painted the firewall, I had to do these mostly by hand to avoid some very tedious masking. They seem to have come out ok as Tamiya isn't the best when brushed on.

IMG_20150709_223139.jpg

I actually had a hard time distinguishing between the green paint and the grey of the bare plastic. Not sure what was up with that. 

Next, I collected all the piping for the engines, cleaned them up and prepped them for a coat of X-34 Metallic Brown. 

IMG_20150709_223223.jpg

And I can't find the pic I took of them painted so I'll have to post that when I do.