1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

20 minutes ago, Madmax said:

Derek, the seat is looking so good that it's immaterial if an aircraft ever gets built around it! I can see years of survival equipment handling coming to life in miniature - lovely to watch.

Are you going to pack a chute for the horseshoe pack? :)

Sean

Thanks Sean :D

Yes, you are of course correct, I do have a lot of hands-on familiarity with survival equipment and ejection seats in general (I have, in the past, packed two Lighning ejection seat horseshoe parachutes which were actually used in live ejections).

Derek 

• 3 weeks later...

On the home stretch...(Parachute withdrawal cord/strop).

pJPrgRU.jpg

And ejection seat handles and headrest/parachute pack restraint straps.

uKTvBls.jpg

nBZLoq3.jpg

bJB8B5W.jpg

4fdt7NR.jpg

Face blind firing handle restraint strap tunnels.

WIxaTpX.jpg

Harness 'Go-forward' lever.

lXa65cR.jpg

Ejection seat detailing complete.

fV3ohLf.jpg

3nrZlTz.jpg

And after a coat of primer.

XfToNPn.jpg

4ZB8N7D.jpg

Definitely an improvement over the supplied kit detail.

RnGysac.jpg

AKrGqrA.jpg

vyxx2la.jpg

Derek

Thank you all for your very kind comments. I must admit that having worked on the aircraft ejection seat survival equipment and later on similar types of ejection seats (MBA Mks.6, 7, 10 and 11 series), it does help somewhat!

Painting it (and the cockpit) shall be a pretty daunting task for me for two reasons. The first is that this will be my first ever 1/32 scale model that I have completed for myself (I know, hard to believe!). The second is that I have really completed any models of note since 2004, so I am really well and truly out of practice (I also have new modelling paints and methods to learn and contend with). So I guess that we shall see how it all turns out?

Derek

AI radar scope boot cover - this is a very noticeable item which is pretty well missed off 99% of Lightning models. My first attempt (with thin sheet aluminium) failed spectacularly, so I had to have a rethink. My second attempt had to be something more flexible and the only thing I could find which was more or less the correct diameter for the job was the outer insulation sheathing from a house electrical main wire. This was drilled out to leave just the flexible outer rubber cover. This was then fixed, cut and the eyepiece rubber reinforcement lip was added from smaller diameter copper wire.

YRJJGLj.jpg

WhlOGVo.jpg

VaSiSj0.jpg

9nfkHfn.jpg

8s3ULBT.jpg

ceTteXo.jpg

t2tKU65.jpg

EMDCmIH.jpg

Looks reasonable...

4uHEkyS.jpg

QWtuqbo.jpg

cL5nBWJ.jpg

TdRBzgl.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Outstanding work as always Derek. I still have the !/48 I.D. vacform kit I bought off you back in 84/85 with all your notes regarding that kits corrections, namely the too thin cross section amongst  others (it is still in the loft as bought from you all those years ago) Airfix made my mind up to leave it until my skills improved enough to do it justice. I am still not up to the standard of your good self and I doubt I ever will. However, if I can come close to be half as good, I can hang up my modelling tools and be a very happy modeller. My Trumpeter Lightning is waiting for any upgrades that you and  Iain  manage to produce so that I can at least construct a model that will look as good as it deserves.

As always

Bob

Edited by Victor K2
grammar

20 minutes ago, Victor K2 said:

Outstanding work as always Derek. I still have the !/48 I.D. vacform kit I bought off you back in 84/85 with all your notes regarding that kits corrections, namely the too thin cross section amongst  others (it is still in the loft as bought from you all those years ago) Airfix made my mind up to leave it until my skills improved enough to do it justice. I am still not up to the standard of your good self and I doubt I ever will. However, if I can come close to be half as good, I can hang up my modelling tools and be a very happy modeller. My Trumpeter Lightning is waiting for any upgrades that you and  Iain  manage to produce so that I can at least construct a model that will look as good as it deserves.

As always

Bob

Thank you for the very nice words (and memories) Bob - how time flies! Your modelling skills have improved beyond recognition over the years, so I think that you have done yourself a disservice there.

Although I shall attempt to correct most of the major kit faults during this build (thereby at least showing my methods of correction), I will not rectify everything wrong with the kit (specifically the canopy shape and position). 

Cheers

Derek

13 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Derek,

Immaculate  work on the Baker seats et al...

EXQUISITE  detailing .

:wow:

:bow:

Thank you Maru :) 

Not sure if I really deserve it considering the calibre of other modellers on this site...I hope that it turns out OK in the end and that the person I am making it for likes it?

Many thanks

Derek

In between working on the ejection seat and coaming painting, I am busy tinkering with other parts of the kit. I have started to correct the intake ring to trunk gap issue.

lYbwR8Q.jpg

f5NUicV.jpg

GIAYcNb.jpg

I cut the radar cone blanking area on the support in case I needed to add nose weight later.

Fk5xmHx.jpg

Fk5xmHx.jpg

0JDEtuv.jpg

pWAMZWY.jpg

hxmqFOp.jpg

Vzk4M0K.jpg

7rgdNI2.jpg

Grey and black now on the ejection seat.

Z8ZrDn5.jpg

ilH22cw.jpg

qlBJWdu.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Quick ask for help here...can anyone spare (or copy) the Echelon 1/32 vacform EE lightning F.6 instruction and scale drawings/plans for me please? I need then to double check some accuracy issues and am also hoping that they will include a full scale 'true plan' of the ventral fin shapes?

Many thanks

Derek