1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

12 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Just WOW....can I send you my Phantom one to finish now???

Andy, Anthony (and everyone else), thank you guys.

For me, this is an attempt to 'get back onto the saddle' as it were in regard to 'normal' painting and finishing techniques, albeit at least 30 years behind everyone else's methods! (I have seen the standards achieved by other members here, so I know that I have a long way to go yet before I can say that I  am satisfied with my meagre attempts).

Anthony, your Phantom looks way better than my Lightning model and we are all eager to see you continue with it (or any other model for that matter!).

Derek 

2 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Anthony, your Phantom looks way better than my Lightning model and we are all eager to see you continue with it (or any other model for that matter!).

Thanks Derek but I beg to differ.

I posted a RFI on a Tamiya Mustang I built quickly-ish OOB

Keep up the great work buddy, and my Phantom is back on the bench!

• 3 weeks later...

30DEEuZ.jpg

Nrvv0aG.jpg

Whilst I was waiting for the ventral tanks to fully dry, I decided to butcher the wings!

ZwGz24C.jpg

There are two main issues with the wing that could really do with correcting, however, it is fairly difficult and somewhat precarious (or at least, the way I have elected to do it is!), so many would not bother correcting them.

The first problem is that the underside of the wing leading edge is too cambered, and this camber runs the whole length of the wing leading edge, which it shouldn't (approximately the centre third portion of the wing underside leading edge should be uncambered and follow the wing chord shape of the original F.1/F.3 shape at this point). I decided to correct this by scribing and filing a deep groove on the inside of the lower wing at the maximum camber point. I then manipulated the shape in this area using finger pressure to push the camber outwards (be careful not to break the plastic!) and then set the shape by flooding the groove with CA glue and backing it with a strip of plastic card.

The second issue is the the very characteristic wing leading 'kink' or 'droop' at the inner third fuselage wing root position has been omitted by Trumpeter - the wing leading edge is straight from tip to root. Examination of lots of Lightning wing photographs helped me work out exactly where this king should be located (from what I can determine, this portion of the wing on the original P.1 aircraft could move downwards to assist in the landing configuration, but was 'fixed' into a set position for subsequent production aircraft). Again, using a steel rule edge and finger pressure, the upper and lower wing root leading edges were carefully bent downwards by the necessary amount (vertical cuts assist here, but care should again be careful not to crack the plastic). The inside of the upper wing was once more set and supported with CA glue and plastic card.

All that I have to do now is make the other wing look the same! :)

5Y1LJ9x.jpg

jDNNX6C.jpg

me4nIcj.jpg

uIDL0vV.jpg

pHXKRc7.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Back to the ventral fuel tank.

As related, the kit tank, as moulded, is both too deep and fat, making it look pot-bellied. Extending the fuselage length by 6.5 mm corrected the short fuselage length problem, but also left a corresponding size gap in the middle of the fore and aft tank sections. This, as seen above, has been filled with a plastic card spacer.

Thanks to Ali of Aerocraft Models, who very kindly enlarged three different EE Lightning scale drawings to 1/32 for me, I was able to determine the correct depth and shape for the ventral tank (thanks Ali!). The enlarged drawings used for reference purposes where the SAM Warpaint drawings (I D Huntley), Echelon kit drawing (Frank Brown/Stuart Hargreaves) and the DACO EE Lightning publication drawings (Danny Coremans).

Both the Echelon kit and DACO book drawings are in agreement with regard to overall fuselage length and ventral tank side profile shape (no cross-section views are offered). However, the fuselage and ventral tank shape on the SAM Warpaint drawings are shorter and deeper than the other two drawings - the Trumpeter kit more or less matches the Warpaint drawings (although the tank is still deeper that the drawing), possibly indicating that Trumpeter may have used this drawing during their original research for the kit design? As can be seen from the images below, the kit ventral tank, at its deepest point, is approximately 5.5 mm deeper (drawn pencil line below the drawing tank line) than the DACO (and Echelon) drawing.

My solution to correcting the kit ventral tank (Phase 2) is to sand away the bottom of the tank in order to reduce the tank depth and also reduce the width bulge. Any resultant fore and aft gaps between the fuselage and tank will be filled with filler and shaped accordingly.

rp2LfD1.jpg

Extended kit tank against the DACO book drawing.

IcsgB51.jpg

dK7vFxt.jpg

The depth of the kit ventral tank can be appreciated here (drawn line under the drawing tank, approximately 5.5 mm).

x1uwziS.jpg

This is approximately how much I will need to remove off the bottom of the kit tank in order to reduce its height to match the drawing (quite a lot!).

G0Y2oVt.jpg

q9x4WxZ.jpg

This is my unbuilt Trumpeter kit laid on the DACO drawing to illustrate that the fuselage and ventral tank is short.

2EaPswO.jpg

UzF6RTd.jpg

EpmhVR3.jpg

This is my unbuilt kit again against the SAM Warpaint drawing and it pretty well matches the drawing (although the tank is still too deep even for this drawing!).

Derek

From a build a long time ago....

I know that Frank Brown measured a real Lightning and I know from Edgar that Frank and Airfix used the real drawings from BAE to create their masters. I photocopied the Airfix F1a/F3 and checked that (where possible) against the Echelon kit and side plan - guess what they matched in depth and length etc. It looks to my like Trumpeter used the plans in Warpaint as if you scale these to 1/32nd the Trumpeter kit it pretty much spot on.

The partial build from 13 years ago...