1/32 Trumpeter EE Lightning F.Mk.6 XS904

Derek B

After much personal deliberation, I decided that I could not live with the gas turbine gearbox fuselage exhaust as portrayed by the kit, so I have drilled it out, opened it up and added a short tube (deformed at one end to match the elliptical opening) to represent the exhaust much better (this is still WIP).

7Pd0oEG.jpg

CS7ei7Z.jpg

Additionally, whilst I was at it, I also decided to mark out the area of the rear fuselage jet exhaust where the kit has formed it as too much of a pinched shape. This area (like the inside of the fuselage exhaust tube above) has been filled with Milliput prior to correct shaping. Once this is done, I can complete the exhaust nozzle area which I have already made.

Lp5FQmI.jpg

3LXnT1F.jpg

JBiB9lG.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

The fuselage turbine starter gearbox exhaust is now mostly completed (just needs a new external shield, as the kit one is the wrong angle).

sYoAmqw.jpg

v9pQ9Y2.jpg

z2NJ95D.jpg

Meanwhile, work continues on correcting the jet exhaust area of the fuselage to make it look a little less 'pinched' in cross-section. 

i6l1ScU.jpg

h0dwV8n.jpg

MlIsxQc.jpg

qjjmqSY.jpg

tpntqUc.jpg

I had to 'estimate' (guess) how much I needed to widen this area by in order to look correct, so I have made two marks, one is 2 mm out from the kit surface, and the other is 3 mm out - this is just precautionary until I can also adjust and build up the jet exhaust nozzles - I can finally adjust both to match later.

eQu3Xsp.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

On 6/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, Derek B said:

Reshaping of exhaust shrouds complete. As I had lost about a millimetre of material during the process, I had to reinstate it. Also, the kit exhaust nozzles when inserted into the shrouds were more or less flush with the ends - they should be set back inside a little. So the answer was to extend the shroud depth by about 2.5 mm. Unfortunately, I have not got any suitable diameter tubing to help me here and I was not convinced that wrapping plastic sheet around a mandrel would provide me the the seamless and concentric ring that I was looking for, so I had to do it the hard way from 3 mm thick plastic sheet!

SrwhQwa.jpg

921ux12.jpg

IkTSBUl.jpg

Mwn5cZo.jpg

NsU9kxX.jpg

O90EgLO.jpg

HY4L0In.jpg

j4xCDws.jpg

lomBSrn.jpg

Derek

Whoa momma that’s a lot of work!! Those came out awful purty!

20 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific work, Derek! Your ability to visualise and then create corrections still astonishes me.

Kev

Thanks Kev - in reality, to be honest, I 'wing it' most of the time! :lol:

Generally, I spend an inordinate amount of time studying and interpreting photographs and images to really understand the areas of interest (a fault of too may years of scratch building model master patterns I suppose?). Eventually, I decide that I cannot live with a specific kit feature (or lack of such) and feel compelled to correct or add it (yet another failing of mine!).

I often have no real idea of how I am going to achieve what I want, only a clear idea of how I want it to look when completed (or to obtain the desired effect). My choice of methods vary, and there are almost always a few ways of achieving what I want, so that is the first hurdle. The final choice very often comes down to what materials I have at hand (this is chiefly where the inventiveness comes in). Then comes the brave bit - actually cutting the plastic or severely modifying it, which is not really as scary as it seems; sometimes it works, other times not (luckily for me, it more or less works out OK first time around).

I have long maintained that there is nothing on any kit that cannot be replaced or improved by using plastic card and Milliput! (or any other brand of epoxy putty). It is a really good way of expanding your modelling experiences and skills, and may be one reason why we see so few kit conversions these days. Grab an old cheap basic kit and have a go, there is nothing to be afraid of.

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Fascinating stuff. I nearly want to get this kit myself in 1:32. And looking at this thread, it might make it easier to fix the original kit parts, knowing someone did the tricky stuff already. :)

Just a comment though, I wish though, that kit makers did spend more time looking at photos because they do make whacky wrong detailing from time to time, errors that really shouldn't be there at all. I resorted to making detailed drawings of the Hobby Boss 1:72 Dora railway cannon, as the kit is whacky, whacky wrong, perhaps because there isn't any scale drawings around at all. They obviously did not bother looking too hard at photos, or, they didn't know how to eyeball the details and make sense of it all (but I did, heh took a while). Sadly, milling a new metal barrel is currently out of the question because of the expenses, so I never finsihed the drawings, but should be good for continuing this work later on if I ghose to it finish it all. Instead of buying a costly lathe/milling machine, I guess I could try get others to make the parts for me, which would also include lots of milled metal wheels. Admittedly, re. the barrel, I no longer remember if the kit barrel can be used, or if there was differences after all (I would have to check).

That's the nice thing about doing something proper. Once you started good on a project, you know that did your best and can pick it up later and continue.

Edited by Treehugger

8 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Fascinating stuff. I nearly want to get this kit myself in 1:32. And looking at this thread, it might make it easier to fix the original kit parts, knowing someone did the tricky stuff already. :)

Just a comment though, I wish though, that kit makers did spend more time looking at photos because they do make whacky wrong detailing from time to time, errors that really shouldn't be there at all. I resorted to making detailed drawings of the Hobby Boss 1:72 Dora railway cannon, as the kit is whacky, whacky wrong, perhaps because there isn't any scale drawings around at all. They obviously did not bother looking too hard at photos, or, they didn't know how to eyeball the details and make sense of it all (but I did, heh took a while). Sadly, milling a new metal barrel is currently out of the question because of the expenses, so I never finsihed the drawings, but should be good for continuting. Instead of buying a costly lathe/milling machine, I guess I could try get others to make the parts for me, which would also include lots of milled metal wheels.

That's the nice thing about doing something proper. Once you started good on a project, you know that did your best and can pick it up later and continue.

Hi Treehugger,

All very true. It is obvious that they based their level of detail upon a limited range of images - this is very evident in the cockpit (ironically, there are many knowledgeable modellers whom could have offered their assistance, but apparently were not requested to do so!).

I wish you well with your Dora railway cannon, and unless metal is a necessity, I would consider 3D printing for the barrel and wheels?

Best regards

Derek

Hi Derek,

I can attest to your modifying skills (obsession) from 38/39 years ago when you converted a 1/144 scale DH comet into a Nimrod using double bond putty (H.M. Gov brand),It was a heavy beast if my memory recalls. This, among many other projects you had on your prolific list of conversions and modifications you had on your never ending list of projects. All this gave me motivation to try and emulate what you were already achieving, which was light years ahead of anything I had achieved before or since. I still think of those days at Scampton whenever a kit requires modifications or conversion I remember your words of wisdom of using whatever is available at that time and to at least try and use the real aircraft if available to check against the kit (Matchbox Victor springs to mind and being in the R.A.F. helped was my first attempt to correcting a kits fault using H.M. Gov brand double bond to re shape the intakes as having worked on them was something I just had to ) and if not use the best references available.

It's only plastic ( or double bond) after all.

I know that your Lightning will be one of if not the most accurate construction available in any scale. I look forward to seeing the finished article.

May your kit always fit perfect and if not "fix it"

Bob

38/39 years older and still trying to catch up

There's some pretty amazing work going on here, I'm not a fan of "modern" aircraft as modelling subjects but I am impressed with the attention to detail and the subject matter, it's a most impressive aircraft.

I still have this memory of going to the cinema for a Saturday matinee as a young lad and having in my possession a Lightning. It was not long after the aircraft came into service and it's shape was pretty extreme for those days, the "plane" came as two pieces of balsa, wings and fuselage (with all the markings on) which clicked together, of course it flew great, it was all very simple and for a very young chap very exciting.

Cheers

Dennis