RAAF Super Hornet. Finished.

ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Nice detailing on the IP coaming, as it's a detail that will always noticed when first looking at the Hornet up close. Thanks for the heads up on the new Tamiya tape and I'll be picking up a roll for sure.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 1 month later...

Some more progress on the Super Hornet during breaks on the Sabre.

I was not happy with Trumpeters depiction of the formation lights on the kit, some being excessively raised detail and others reasonably well engraved. I plan on using the Southern Sky decal sheet stencils which have the formation lights as decals and look quite nice. I sanded off the detail on the tails and filled the nose and fuse lights. I then masked the panels and built up a couple of layers of primer, which under paint should provide a much more subtle and realistic panels.

0E263C0F-48B7-43E2-9161-7393E0E41BFA_zps

I also wanted to depict the raised panel that covers the windshield join. Close inspection of references shows this panel and I thought it would be a better alternative to the engraved lines on the kit.

B2772761-E987-4B6F-979D-46D7493C9303_zps

32CB9CD1-2204-4B7F-A487-276D17584456_zps

Once under paint, the panel will ok just right.

9B7589BA-BA0D-4F31-AC61-9C656FB56D7C_zps

• 3 months later...

So after I finished the Lightning, I thought I would stay on task so to speak with continuing another trumpeter fast jet. Here is some progress on the Super Hornet. A little bit of time wasted trying to work out where I left off but have made some advances on some of the more innacurate parts of the kit.

First up is the pylon that holds the AN/ASQ pod. Trumpeter totally missed the boat on this one and included something that doesn't even resemble the real one in any way.... Out with the two part epoxy putty and lots of sanding to come up with one that now looks almost there. The original Trumpeter item was not going to go anywhere near my finished model.

E46C41B2-9035-427B-B2AA-7360B9742ACA_zps

4A396E8C-9620-4130-88EE-6622B0381A04_zps

3C974863-3259-4A7A-9B20-48F094050A3B_zps

Primed/scribed. Looks far better than the original.

7CF2757C-6F4B-4521-A08F-795702574B90_zps

Next up is the IFR probe. I wanted to use the excellent Master turned metal part of the probe. The kit one is a little skinny and lacking sharpness, so I built up the probe with epoxy putty

to accept the master item. I have also used the door from the Eduard exterior set.

FB211747-C8FA-48C2-B48B-617E1F8CC34F_zps

The next item to get stuck into was the tail hook. The Trumpeter hook is a very innacurate part and it required a fair bit of work to correct. I should have taken before photos to compare.

The front of the hook is flat and devoid of detail.

C995D36C-0771-4BFD-BFA1-DCE06EFDF9A6_zps

I cut a rounded groove on the front and grafted on bolt heads from the Meng nuts and bolts set.

C70A3794-9430-42D0-AEE9-F4D7E0913317_zps

I cut the curved rod of the tail hook off and replaced it with a new part made from plastic card. A fair bit of modification has gone into this part to make it look as it does now.

C957DBBB-5CB5-4CB2-9983-A1D1DC05ECAD_zps

The completed item. You will also notice that I have removed the Eduard photo etch mesh from the vents at the rear. During handling of the model these vents became indented. I have purchased a new eduard photo etch set to replace them. Expensive but necessary.

F3468FF8-76C4-4F83-AAF6-2321FCC52853_zps

Edited by ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Terrific progress on the Hornet and looking forward to following your progress all the way to the finish line

Keep 'em coming

Peter

this is another "crap hot" build, man the hornets nest is just a buzzing, it seems like anyone and everyone is building them, yours is looking great though! the scratch building, and all of the attention to detail is really well done. Nice job!!!! 

Eric,

The way you apply your miniature magic to these kit projects in recent times … shocks and astounds me.  :o  

Can't wait to see this model (and your other gems) in the flesh.

Outstanding as always!

Phil

Edited by Piprm