Another Felixstowe F.2a Late - 1/20 Throttle Cables

Bill_S

Like William says, I'd be interested to now how you got some of the wood effects.

In your first post you mention the 'crinkle' caused by spraying lacquer before the underlying paint had fully cured - was this deliberate? Because it seems to have given an effective texture to the parts (I suppose that means you should say yes whatever.. :))

Interesting to see this come together.

Matt

Best looking "wood" finish done with paint on plastic I've seen...Just excellent Bill :clap2:  :clap2: .

Hoping you can give us a little more on how you did it.?? 

Like William says, I'd be interested to now how you got some of the wood effects.

In your first post you mention the 'crinkle' caused by spraying lacquer before the underlying paint had fully cured - was this deliberate? Because it seems to have given an effective texture to the parts (I suppose that means you should say yes whatever.. :))

Interesting to see this come together.

Matt

I'd like to say I knew exactly what I was doing, Matt - but I'd be lying! I use MM enamels for all of my exteriors - except IJA/IJN subjects. In the past, I've not had great luck spraying future over large surfaces. It always wants to create drips for me (something to work on, I suppose). Instead, I've taken to spraying MM Glosscote directly over the enamels. I let them cure a few days prior to spraying, and I've never had an issue of the lacquer eating into the enamel.

I was concerned that the oil rub might affect the underlying enamel, so I decided on the lacquer. I believe it was a few hours after I sprayed the enamel that I put on the lacquer. Perhaps "crinkle" was not a good descriptor of what I achieved. Tiny cracks might be  more appropriate to say. Probably the biggest lesson I've learned on LSP is that there are very few mistakes - but ample opportunity for rework - so I forged ahead and put on the oil. I wiped it with the hard sponge almost immediately. I was quite pleased with the results! This picture is as close as I could get and still retain focus...

DSCN04521_zps474b4994.jpg

The finished surface doesn't feel rough at all...

Wow! It really does look like wood in the photos.  Gives me something to aim at, and I'll be happy if my wood looks half as good.  Many thanks for sharing.

Edited by MikeC

• 2 weeks later...

My tired eyes needed a break from the interior details...

The engine supports, WNW suggests either wood or Battleship Gray. I've had so much fun making a mess with the oils that I'm opting for the wood look. I still need to remove as much oil from the metal hardware as I can prior to detailing those areas...

DSCN04661_zps91cd8820.jpg

The engines are little jewels. I would prefer metallized crankcases, but the saltwater environment dictates that they be painted. They still need magnetos and a wash. Then I'll highlight some of the details.

DSCN04621_zps34c11b25.jpg

DSCN04641_zps645fa8ea.jpg

DSCN04651_zpseff59d9c.jpg

I'm still really liking this kit!

Edited by Bill_S