Ho 229 Fuselage length

Kaiser Hong

Hi all,

I have a question about the length of the 229 fuselage

In many books(Include Zoukei-mura CONCEPT NOTE), all pointed out that the  length is 7.465m

so, in  1/32 scale,it should be 23.3cm

But I found it was actually 24cm  :blink: 

4Q34Yls06wmdXex67VWaIS.jpg

I print a line draw in 1/32 scale to compare

6tDUOAHhhs972Dbf7MMPBF.jpg

the kit's tail seems be too long?

I can not draw conclusions :ninja: 
 any suggestion and opinion is welcome

Thanks for your help, :D

Kaiser

I do not have the kit, tho I have personally seen it built-up while reviewing the Z-M Exhibit at the USA National IPMS Convention.  With that knowledge, I would hazard a guess to say that the quality of the remaining aspects of the kit far outweigh the .02755906th of an inch difference between the miniaturized real item and what one gets in the box.

In addition, it is easier to manufacture something with rounded dimensions than not.

Sincerely,

Mark

The Horton is one of those kits where I would place more faith in the kit than any drawings (except an original, properly reproduced set of Arthur Bentley's)....

ZM went and measured it up and then referenced the work of Arthur Bentley to produce the kit. So the best possible research. 

Matt

Hi all,

I have a question about the length of the 229 fuselage

In many books(Include Zoukei-mura CONCEPT NOTE), all pointed out that the  length is 7.465m

so, in  1/32 scale,it should be 23.3cm

But I found it was actually 24cm  :blink: 

I print a line draw in 1/32 scale to compare

the kit's tail seems be too long?

I can not draw conclusions :ninja: 

any suggestion and opinion is welcome

Thanks for your help, :D

Kaiser

The length is measured with the aircraft at rest, so you must measure the length of the shadow cast on the ground when the aircraft s on the undercarriage and it accounts for the missing centimeters.

The drawing depicts an aircraft n flight, so it is slightly shorter, since there is an angle of attack (a pitch) wrt the plan of simmetry

This is a frequent problem with quoted dimensions!!  Different dims for different purposes. The guy pushing the aircraft about a crowded hangar, or production line, or inside a carrier, is going to need different information to the guy setting up the production jigs.....

Good catch though. And the shadow thing needs qualifying too! That would only work at noon, parked smack on the equator, on Midsummers Day, or any other day when the sun was directly overhead; so never north or south of the Tropics. And you would also have to allow for 96 million miles of parallax, plus the fuzziness caused by the diameter of the sun. And the difference in height between the nose and tail above the tarmac. And, come to think of it, if you were on the Equator rather than on the edge of the Baltic, some expansion might need to be factored in. Or Factor 50'd out.

I'll get my coat.....

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Well done ermeio and Radu!! ... A question was asked - and an answer provided. A successful conclusion. :D

I knew ZM's research would be spot on - that's just the way they operate. But unless the drawings are off (more than a little possible in most cases!), a discrepancy was noticed and a member requested advice on why that might be the case. He had a point - since ZM's own concept note was showing the same "apparent" discrepancy?!? ... It was a puzzle to be solved and he wasn't being nasty or mean spirited about it. I hope I don't get pulled apart like that if I ever have a similar puzzle I want an answer to?!

Rog :)