S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

And this is when scratchbuilders are going to become scratchassembler :doh:

More seriously, it looks great  ;)

Ah, but if you are assembling stuff that you have designed, whats the problem!? No more than putting a cockpit together, and then 'assembling' it into the fuselage, as far as I can see!

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to let you know that this has neither been forgotten nor abandoned, I am currently working on quite a few parts which are going to be 3D printed. This is rather time consuming and there isn't much to show at the moment. I hope to get the new parts printed by end of this month - I'll post an update as soon as they arrive. 

Oh, wait - there was some minor progress - I was able to get out the hammer to punch out some knobs. Here you go!

IMG_5767a.jpg

Cheers!  :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's taken me almost two months to gather up all my courage to cut up the fuselage in order to test fit the CNC machined wing center section prototype. I can tell you, cutting up your work from more than one year is everything but fun.

As you can see, I am not smiling at all here...

IMG_6693a.jpg

It wasn't a surgical operation - it felt and looked more like a massacre.

IMG_6694a.jpg

That's what the styrofoam prototype looks like:

IMG_6695a.jpg

And the result of the massacre. I have to admit that my heart is still bleeding when I think about all the surface detail which has been destroyed. 

IMG_6696a.jpg

The good news is: even though I've removed too much material from the fuselage, the prototype fits good enough to approve the final part for production - but more on that later! :)

IMG_6697a.jpg

That your hand did not shake when doing this cutting is a testimony to your determination. My cut in similar circumstances would have been jagged all the way.

Can you remind me again why you cut this portin of the kit and are redoing a new central wing ? You have probably explained it earlier, but I can't find where (or am too lazy to do a proper search ;) ).

One thing for sure : the 3D design ann subsequent milling does work.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers