B-17G, Detail additions, Corrections and Backdating build.

Guest Nigelr32

I have a bad feeling this kit will go the way of the dodo.  With the inaccuracies, the price and the overwhelming size of this thing with respect to display space,  I worry that HK won't produce anymore of the B-17 kits.  They're supposed to come out with and F model but if they haven't produced any yet, they might just cancel the run and any more G kits along with it.   At least I got a hold of one.  

What I am amazed at is the lack of attention to detail by the companies that produce the kits.  I can be and I am sympathetic to shape issues where compound curves are involved or where the cost of making the detail "correct" per say is cost prohibitive.  But how do you get major items like the windows sizes / locations, fuselage cross section wrong on one of the most poplar and well documented aircraft ever to fly!!!  Certainly seems sloppy review, as these corrections have no impact on cost if caught before production tooling is cut.   Perhaps the companies need to engage the help some of the parties here to test their products before production if they really want to produce accurate scale models and give the modeling public what they expect.  Just my 2 cents worth.

i think we might find there are many options re window size and placement. Remember that Mushroom did a whole book devoted to different noses on B-24s.

Nige - I deleted my post, as is was taken all wrong.  My point was maybe these companies need to use real modelers to test proof their products before production, especially with such basic, glaring mistakes..that is all.  I never in my wildest dreams thought someone would come up with B-24 nose

Alburymodeler - This is a late B-17G as Nige indicated, not a B-24 or a conversion from an earlier B-17 mark.

I am a Jet guy anyhow, and was just chiming in on the poor gross detail we have been getting lately from the manufacturers on these high dollar kit. I for one would rather they leave the little details off and spend the money get the big details correct.     In retrospect, I Should have stayed away.  Bye!

Edited by ghatherly

Everyone, if there are comments tro be made about the accuracy of this kit, please address them in the accuracy thread over in LSP discussion. I started this thread because my build was getting lost in all the accuracy discussions. Please don't send this thread down the same road, I want to keep this one for build pics with info on how to correct/backdate and detail the kit.

Nige is correct, we asked him to seperate his accuracy thread from actual corrections and create a seperate build thread so his work can be searched.  Here is a link to the accuracy thread.

Nice work so far Nige!

Please continue on Nigel for your work is inspiring

I have started my own thread for my build that isn't OOB.but only has some  scratch parts

I'am fortunate that I don't get that frustrated about inaccuracies.

Nigelr32,  Hey keep up the good work.  Been following both your build thread here and your other thread on accuracy issues.  I haven't bought the kit and was waiting for someone to look at it really close and all modeller's have found that person.  With all the problems you have found I still might buy it but it is down the list a ways.  Dan

Nigel, I'm so glad you separated your build from the Accuracy thread which seems to have now degenerated into name calling. Keep up the good work, I hope your enthusiasm and motivation pool is deep enough to see you through to the very end of the build. You plan on doing Little Miss Behavin which has the earlier tail turret, is your plan to scratchbuild that or wait for HKM to backdate it in the F kit ?

One other question, what tool/technique do you use to get such nice rounded corners in your windows ?

cheers

Gary

Hey Nige, this looks really cool with the corrections. The other thread had gotten locked before I could respond, but thanks for answering me about the windows. It looks like the windows will need to be adjusted on the F as well, or is it different because those bulged angular sections aren't on the F? I'm just confused as to how much of the windows need to be fixed for the other versions. 

Thanks for doing this correction build on here, should make for a one of a kind B-17 in the end.

Matt  :frantic:

Nige, you inspire me to keep going with my build. I probably have 10% of your modelling and creative skills at most but you make me want to stick with it. Can't wait to see the finished kit. I also need to look back in on how you have progressed with the 1/200 bismarck as I haven't looked at that forum for a few months (mine has stalled, mainly due to the difficulty I'm having with the small PE bits like the portholes and my eyesight. Should have have left it alone when I was younger, everyone said I'd go blind  :innocent:

Keep going Nige.  You're doing a fantastic job.  I have a feeling you're going to wind up causeing me to get another kit to try my hand at the corrections.  We'll probably also need a correction thread for the F model if /when it comes out.