B-17G, Detail additions, Corrections and Backdating build.

Guest Nigelr32

It is GREAT to hear from you Nigel and looking forward to your updates

MOJO RISING   :punk:  :punk:  :punk:

While I was mulling over the Bombay on my 17 I had a brain cramp and grabbed my saw and cut off the two top brackets on the girder (I call it the keel)

and swapped ends so the frames face the correct direction. Sorry I don't have the pics uploaded yet but I had to tell someone as I have not seen anyone

else do it and I was excited......................................Sorry I need to use more CA and stop leaving the lid off the liquid stuff.........U'd think after 50 years 

SOOOOO HAPPY to hear from you :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  

Jack

Nigelr32 

I have just discovered your build here and I am in awe of your craftsmanship ......I love to watch how people do their thing and this is like reading a book on how to.......exactly why I joined this forum.  You have skills that inspire me to try new things and 'BOLDLY GO WHERE NO KNIFE HAS GONE BEFORE!"  I appreciate your loss and my sympathy is with you.......If it helps, I have a Corgi pup that my 11 year old son named Hemi Daytona ...........I gave him an Australian accent when I make him talk (makes me laugh anyway)

I look forward to your progress and eagerly await your "Masters touch"

V/R

Dan

Hi Nigel     I sent you a post yesterday but must have sent it to POST PERGITORY

I do not think correct ........is correct.......as for the Bombay it will really not be seen after I mount it on the stand

I build more to making it look right  then trying to create every detail, but love to watch a True Craftsman at work

I follow your work for inspiration and to see the research you do morph into plastic

Please continue

Jack

Crazy and Brave is a man I can follow.......................So Lead-on McDuff.......

Club member started that 219 about 4 months ago and was real happy so far...

As of a month age had fatal landing gear problem and he put them up 

He didn't make the last meeting

LET"S  ROCK  :punk:  :punk: :punk:  

Jack

I'm really not that good, I'm just crazy and brave.

I took the fuselage to the club tonight and it drew a lot of interest. The guys there were amazed at the inaccuracies. I ended up in a long conversation with a gentleman called Colin, an officianado on the HE219. We think this one is more work than the Revell kit??

Having followed Iain's thread on the He-219, and yours on the B-17, I'd say the B-17 looks like the corrections are not as drastic or the surgery as deep ... BUT it takes a lot more guts to chop a kit the price of the B-17 than for the 1/5 of the price Revell He-219. The stakes of botching up the work are definitely not the same ....

Great modelling Nigel. I'll continue following this thread. If I decide to make the step  (leap ?) one day of buying HK's B-17 (but that would have to be the -F), at least it would be with the knowledge that the fuselage inaccuracies need not bother me, as my crazy dream would to convert it to a Model 307  :wacko: :redx: ... Not likely to happen though, at my current building pace .... :unsure:

Hubert

Guest Peterpools

Hi Nige

Looking forward to hitting the bench and moving the B-17 forward. No, please don't say your pondering doing a 32nd scale Marauder and not progressing with the Fortress.

Peter :hmmm:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for checking in. My Mojo is starting to return, but I've still not cut any plastic yet.

I might have to build a little jeep or something?

I am also pondering a 1/32 marauder Vac form. Iain and Roy really pushed me at Telford to do one, and the Marauder would be my choice.

Ok  I have a plan... you build a jeep and then come back to the B-17 and finish it then start a Marauder

In the mean time I'll finish my B-17 and practice on a couple of Vacs then We can do the Marauders together     (I'am Dreamig)

Jack

Hi Nige

Looking forward to hitting the bench and moving the B-17 forward. No, please don't say your pondering doing a 32nd scale Marauder and not progressing with the Fortress.

Peter :hmmm:

WE ARE PLOTTING :evil_laugh:  :evil_laugh:  :evil_laugh:

Well I'am anyway 

Jack

You described me to a T.  I'm too fat, misshapen but too short, not too long.   Oh, you meant the fuselage.  Never mind.  

I'd love to be able to see one model straight out of the box side by side with your modified model to be able to see the difference.  I'm a big B-17 fan but no where near an expert on it's dimensions or construction.  I've got a model contest in my area coming up in May.  Hopefully, none of the judges will be able to tell the thing is way out of whack.   Looking forward to seeing more changes.  

Thanks Nige for the quick reply.  I'll do my research again and compare the model against the real thing.   When I get ahold of another kit, (read that if my wife lets me buy another one at that price) I'm going to do some of the mods.  I'm interested to see how you thin down the fuselage.  Sounds like a lot of work.