1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

I've taken a break from the interior and have had a play with the flightdeck transparencies today.

It's really important when building vacforms to build the fuselage to the width of the transparent parts rather than the other way round. It's far easier to remove excess plastic from the fuselage halves if they're too wide, rather than try to add extra clear plastic to the transparent part! I wanted to ensure the glazing fitted before going any further with the interior as this would avoid major surgery later on in the build...

Here's what you get in the kit. The blue protective film will stay on until it's fitted to the fuselage later in the build:

S1030125.jpg

Here's a test fit. After carefully cutting around the cockpit and removing excess plastic, you can see a major problem - the pilot's windows don't extend far enough down the fuselage sides and are too shallow. A major rethink needed!

S1030104.jpg

As you can see on the real aircraft, the windows extend below the line of the windscreen, unlike the kit part. This photo of Hendon's MkI shows what I mean. The small window directly below the windscreen wasn't present on the later marks of Halifax, and the MkII Series IA I am building wouldn't have this glazing present (picture used for illustrative purposes only):

3284388743_70ffd7bc1b.jpg

This is my solution - to remove the window parts on the kit's transparency and make my own version. Evergreen strip was used, bent to shape, and then the new framework was blended in with filler:

S1030121.jpg

The starboard side had a similar problem but the window arrangement is different here, as the right side has a much deeper windscreen. Here I have added the shallow window below, and have also had to build up the fuselage slightly as the kit part wasn't quite deep enough. In reality the windscreen sits slightly deeper, but the simply wasn't enough clear plastic left to get this completely correct:

S1030122.jpg

The cockpit now sits much better, and looks a lot more like a Halifax:

S1030111.jpg

S1030116.jpg

It now matches the plans far better, too:

S1030109.jpg

Right side:

S1030112.jpg

Once the filler has been sanded and everything is blended in I think it'll just about pass...

I'll now have to do the same with the clear nose and rear turret. I can't do the mid-upper as there isn't one in the kit... I'll be vacforming my own further along the way. That's the joy of builds such as this... each new day brings a different challenge to overcome banghead.gif

Cees... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts...

Tom

Hi Tom,

Difficult beasty the Halifax isn't it?

The canopy shape is reasonable in the kit but the Halifax set up is quite subtle. The top of the windows are in line with the aft transparency. So in you case the windows are a bit too high. Also they are not curved but straight. The top is canted a bit to follow the fuselage contours. Apart from that you make it seem easy. I enjoy every installment of this thread.

Edit: Tom, I now see you have raised the whole window. this is incorrect. The side windows are as I

had cut them to be. See drawing. As it is now it will not look like a Halifax.

Cees

Edited by Cees Broere

Hi Cees,

Thanks again for the information :)

Yes you are right I have had to raise the windows a little - this is because if I left them at the height you had cut (which is correct according to the Granger plans) the roof line would then be far too low, and a step of about 5mm would result between the clear roof above the flight engineer and the fuselage behind it. The problem is that the clear part is not moulded deep enough, and the moulded on window frames limit me to how far I can move it down.

I've too have been mulling this problem over, and my solution is going to be to raise the line of the rear part of the canopy slightly so it is more inline with the top ofthe  pilot's sliding windows - this won't completely solve the problem but it will improve the 'look' somewhat, and I am aware this will make the flight engineer's transaparency slightly too shallow.

I was also thinking about moulding another canopy altogether but I must confess I'm not overly confident in my ability to do this.

But, this is the problem with builds such as this. I think somewhere along the line you have to go with what you've got, otherwsie nothing will ever get finsihed. Yes, it may not be 100% accurate, but I worry I'd get too bogged down and lose interest. A middle ground must be saught somewhere!

I'll keep playing with it and as long as it's passable, I'll be happy - I must also confess I'm not a rivet counter and to me, if it looks right, it'll do!

I do really appreciate your thoughts on this though - it's great someone who is a knowledgable as you is willing to share their expertise. When HK eventually get around to doing a 1/32nd Halifax, I'll send them your way :bow:

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chaps...

Progress has slowed on this of late due to my HK B-17G project, but since the last update the new cockpit windows have been faired in and the canopy test fitted which has all gone according to plan.

I've also started playing with the carb intakes on the engine nacelles as well as re-sculpting some 1/24th Mosquito prob blades which will form the basis for the propellers... I'm hoping to make a master for each and then get them cast in resin to save a huge amount of work...

There isn't much worthy of pictures at this stage, so when I've done a little more of note I'll update you smile.png

Tom