1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

I have been having a play with the propellers as these have to be scratch-built as there are none in the kit. 

Cees very kindly sent me a set of four propellers from Revell's 1/32nd Beaufighter as an option to do a Hercules powered MkIII, but as I am doing a Merlin powered MkII I wanted to see if I could modify them and put them to good use.

However, as the picture below testifies, they are similar in length only - the shape of the blade is very different and they are also right-hand turning, whereas the RR Merlin was left hand turning - reversing the pitch would be very tricky!

S1030286.jpg

Therefore, I have decided to go down a different route, and save the props for a 1/32nd Sunderland or Stirling...

I have been fortunate enough to source two sets of needle-blade propellers from the 1/24th Airfix Mosquito which will be a far better starting point.

Although they are obviously much longer, with some careful trimming they have been far easier to shape into a 1/32nd Halifax propeller than I thought. This is fairly early on in the shaping process and more work has been done since, but you get the general idea:

S1030290.jpg

I think, rather than re-do this process 11 more times, I am going to get this master cast in resin to save me a shed load of work and ensure each blade is identical. The spinners will be crash-moulded or vacformed at a later stage from a Milliput master which I am yet to make.

Here's a quick comparison to the original Mossie blade (left) and my modified example (right):

S1030292.jpg

I've also been playing with the carburetor intakes on the engine sides. I started with another piece of Revell's Beaufighter - in this instance the air intake that sits on top of the Hercules engine nacelle:

S1030277.jpg

This is far too deep, and is the wrong shape at the rear, but with a bit of re-profiling and modification:

S1030284.jpg

Again, rather than repeat this process numerous times, these too will eventually be cast in resin.

In situ for a test fit:

S1030296.jpg

A little more work needed, but it's a huge improvement on the kit items:

IMG_1893.jpg

Tail is currently being worked on, so when there's something worth showing I'll update you.

Tom

Hey Tom, Awesome work! Is there no dihedral to the wing on this one? I'm just trying to compare your previous work on the B-29.

It's really coming together great!

Leo

Leo,

The inner sections have no dihedral, but the sections outboard of the inner sections do. It makes a spar much easier to install.

Tom

Tom,

Sooo it will be finished this saturday at Telford.

Seriously, this is fun to watch. The intakes are a fantastic

Improvement.

Cees

I wish!

I may well bring it along as a work in progress though so you can cast your expert eye over it...

Impressive seems to be an understatement for this...

I'm a bit surpriced that you can fit that dowel in so close to the trailing edge ?!?!

The dowel is not quite at the trailing edge as I've removed the flaps. That makes the wing just wide enough at that point for the dowel to pass through.

It was more luck than judgement I might add though!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I've been working on the stabilisers of late.

After cutting them out and removing them from the backing plastic I had to thin them quite a bit as the kit parts were a little too thick.

I then removed the elevators, and boxed in the rear part area where the elevators were. The kit has the hinge line moulded as a straight edge along the entire length of the stabiliser, but in reality the hinge line is quite complex - this will provide me with endless hours of fun when it comes to scratching the elevators later in the build!

I also scrided on the panel lines and added the hinges from scrap plastic. Here is the completed port stabiliser offered up against the Granger plans - the parts are a very good match:

S1030331.jpg

Here are both stabilisers completed:

S1030329.jpg

The next task was to attach them to the fuselage. Once again wooden dowel has been used as a spar, and after some careful measuring I cut some holes in the root for the dowel to pass through, and checked everything was level and true. It was then a case of sliding the stabilisers over the dowel, and flooding the join with poly cement as it is slow drying and enabled final adjustments to be made:

S1030334.jpg

The join isn't too bad, but unfortunately the roots are slightly thicker than the stabilisers (maybe a little over-zealous sanding on my part?!) so a little more filler than I would like is needed:

S1030342.jpg

Starting to look more and more like a Halifax...

S1030337.jpg

Copious amounts of filler have been applied, but this aids blending everything in, and as it is P38 car body filler it is very easy to sand and dries in approx 30 minutes:

S1030348.jpg

In fact by the time I've finished typing and uploading this it'll probably be ready... now where's the sandpaper..?

Until next time,

Tom

oh man that looks fine

Tom you really are a master engineer - this is model building in such a pure form it's jaw dropping

I watch this, convince myself that it can't be that hard and then have flashbacks to a Contrail HP Hastings I was making my dad once (he flew them) that beat me into such submission I had to give up

so far I have never returned, but seeing this and the other builds here is so inspiring I might just give it a go again next time

enjoying every update

Peter