1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

tomprobert

Sir I have just discovered this build and all I can say is what everyone else has spoken 

This build is not only amazing, but very informative as well.  You care to share as you go along and show "how-to" one of the major reasons I joined the LSP forums.

I look forward to following this magnificent build and watch yet another master craftsman create another work of art

Thank you

V/R

Dan

Your kind words are very much appreciated chaps.

I'm pleased to hear you find my posts useful, after all we are all in this GB together and if my experiences can help provide the vac novices some tips my work here is worthwhile.

Peter, I'm glad you're considering joining the dark side once again - come and join in the fun!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Question on the filler, apart from P38, what else/other brand do you use for the smaller gaps/bits?

For smaller areas I use Squadron Green Putty of Revell's filler. The problem with filling larger areas with these two is they are prone to shrinkage - so I tend to use them for small surface blemishes only. Milliput comes in handy too, as when smoothed with a little water the sanding required is greatly reduced, and Milliput doesn't shrink either.

Tom

Another productive few hours have been spent on the Halifax.

I've been working on the vertical twin tails, and have been able to get them attached to the stabilisers, and now, more or less, the big Halifax is structurally complete.

I have now committed myself to building a late MkII Series IA aircraft with the larger, squared off fins which were added after problems with stability with the earlier, more triangular shaped examples. I've been doing a fair bit of research into colour schemes and I think I've settled on a Coastal Command aircraft that was transferred out of Bomber Command... more on that later in the build. This particular Halifax has the square fins as well as a H2S radome fitted - exactly the look I want.

As per usual, my first task was to cut the fins out, and sand them to the correct thickness - a tedious job that took a fair bit of time due to the fact that the fins are moulded a little on the thick side in the kit. I then removed the rudders (these will be scratch-built later and posed at a deflected angle) and scribed the panel lines. In the photo below you can see that the rudders are slightly too long from top to bottom, but this isn't something I'm going to lose any sleep over:

IMG_2132.jpg

The next step was to check my rudder removal had been accurate - and when a few minor parts were trimmed up, they were glued together. The fit was excellent and no filler was needed whatsoever on the leading edges, just a quick once over with some fine sandpaper and all was well. The tough part of removing the flight surfaces on vacs is the gaping holes it leaves along the hinge lines. These are tackled easily with the attachment of plastic card cut to shape and faired in with CA glue:

IMG_2137.jpg

Once I was happy with the hinge lines, after a lot of consulting plans, careful measuring and dry fitting, I drilled a hole in the inner faces of the fins and inserted some scrap sprue - this will mean a strong join to the stabilisers once another hole is drilled to accommodate the sprue:

IMG_2142.jpg

A test fit showed that all fitted as I had hoped!

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

After I was happy that everything was at it should be, I flooded the join with poly cement as this allows any final adjustments to be made easily. After 24 hours drying time the join was then reinforced with Milliput, and this will just need a final sanding to bring everything up to scratch:

IMG_2147.jpg

And now here we are - a model that is now structurally complete, and to me, looks every inch a Halifax:

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

I've put it one the dining room table in this shot to give a sense of scale... it's BIG!

I can now go back to the really fun stuff such as scratch-building the landing gear and bomb bay structures. I'll update you again when there's some more progress worth reporting.

Happy modelling!

Tom