Sepecat Jaguar GR3.A FORWARD FUSELAGE MASTERS COMPLETE...MOSTLY&#33

Timmy!

Maybe I missed this, but what software are you using to create your CAD files? Rhino? Solidworks?

Tim

Two posts above yours Tim..................

Marten thanks for checking in.  I'm glad I could be helpful to you...I loved seeing you work as well!

My setup:

Rhino CAD

MeshCAM

LinuxCNC (EMC2) Controller

A2Z Monster Mill (Souped up Sherline mill)

• 1 month later...

How's about an update?!

Here is the progress after a few uninterrupted days in the shop.  Several more foam parts have been cut and have done a few more in acrylic.  Also the 3d printer has pumped out few parts while I was at it.

Here are the representative parts hastily placed together to give the idea of the construction.

16513500837_2cdc6e162b_b.jpg

The acrylic bulkhead that incorporates some detail for the nose gear well.   The acrylic is hard and stable but quite brittle.  Sometimes a miss calculation of the feed of the bit and I get a little bit of chipping of the detail.  Although I will be able to repair this without too much effort.

16533359220_2eac3ed8a0_b.jpg

16694885336_2bca38b3e6_b.jpg

Here's the rear cockpit bulkhead set into milled recesses of the foam fuselage side.

16719804622_c66440cb94_b.jpg

Again the fuselage side with a 3d printed gun shroud.

16719709202_0de2715093_b.jpg

The gun shroud in place..nice fit better than expected and this is before any post mill/print finishing whatsoever.

16100835003_a365fe50d6_b.jpg

16720781755_ebe9e86f44_b.jpg

Last one these are two of the three vacuum form molds that will shape the nose section of the Jag; that house the LRMTS.

The process is light coat of primer is applied followed by careful file and sandpaper work to remove the primer.  As the low spots mark the true shape of the part once the paint is gone the part should be closer to it's nominal size.

16513594427_d471c73030_b.jpg

That's it for now more later.

Timmy!

As posted over at ARC, this build is completely crazy- and completely entertaining as we watch you push the envelope of scratch-built modeling at an extreme skill level. Thanks for all the pics and updates, because I know they can be a real pain to do!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick little update.

I finished post processing the milled vacuum form molds and pulled some plastic.

16348844454_2e43b6e432_h.jpg[/url]

16970306591_a98888d008_h.jpg[/url]

Also I got the 3d printer working here are the cabin pressure valve and safety relief valve.

16763857687_7b51fde755_h.jpg[/url]

Better photos coming soon. I have more parts from the printer and the vac parts have been trimmed up.

Timmy!

The promised update to the last update:

Parts, parts, parts all in various stages of finishing.  I'll just let the photo's do the talking.  Nothing new here just basic finishing and detailing work.

Printer parts.

16798793517_a875b294be_b.jpg

Vacuum formed parts.

17004768142_6ebba9ff53_b.jpg

17006192455_3d40000260_b.jpg

Detailing the acrylic cockpit rear bulkhead.

16818447528_92b29cf61b_b.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Timmy!

• 1 month later...

The latest progress. A few more parts cut and printed.

Here's the windscreen frame. The part will hold three separate acrylic clear parts, just like the real thing including a thicker center section.

The part in the printer.

18303629231_2afcc6b545_h.jpg

The part with supports attached. I'm really happy with the print. I managed to get the channel for the canopy seal to print perfectly.

17681579773_f01d04fb97_h.jpg

18303627341_68e5b6222a_h.jpg

17679564964_067731be2e_h.jpg

The parts so far. No clean up and just set together. Getting close to having enough parts to start some assembly and surface detailing.

17681578953_9ca00a1616_h.jpg

That's all for this one. Thanks for checking in.

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

That is a fascinating creation Timmy! I can't remember ever seeing a 3D print like this before. The interior skeleton is amazing.

It looks like the tips of the internal webbing make bolt heads inside the canopy framing. Is that correct?

I look forward to seeing you get to the assembly stage.

Cheers.

That is a fascinating creation Timmy! I can't remember ever seeing a 3D print like this before. The interior skeleton is amazing.

It looks like the tips of the internal webbing make bolt heads inside the canopy framing. Is that correct?

I look forward to seeing you get to the assembly stage.

Cheers.

The support structure is calculated by the printer software. I can be 100% automatically done by the software or, as I have done, tell the software where I want the supports to touch the model.

However, the do not coincide with fasteners...you are looking at really roughly freed part.

Just as a note on my construction so far. The biggest problem I was having with the hand built version was maintaining the symmetry of shape from the left side to the right side of the model. The machining I'm doing provides a symmetrical and dimensionally accurate starting point. I'm not trying to get truly finished parts out of the machine. I'm trying to do machine work up front and will get on to finishing once I have enough parts to complete a subassembly. I'm working on the section forward of the intakes as a single or possibly two part assembly. It may turn out to be a stand alone model, like a cockpit display you see at air shows from time to time. Also this will be the joint where the two version diverges. That is everything aft of the intake lip, with only minor differences, if common to the single and two seat versions.

Anyway that's a much greater answer to your question, but there you go.

I don't want to know how long it took you to generate a 3D render of something as complex as that canopy seal - it looks terrific, the kind of detail that will make the model look really awesome. Riveting build!

Cheers

Jim