Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear.

Geez .. I'm speechless and still soaking in your weathering - what an approaching and technique.

I've learned to never question the how's and why's of your work, as in the end, a true diamond appears.

Keep 'emm coming

peter

Wow, neat!  Love the effect. It would be a good technique for getting fading on enamel paints for me as Ive used the hairspray effect to get similar results, occasionally in concert with a finish sanding pad, but of course you have no choice to use acrylics in that case. 

Looking forward to more! 

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for your compliments.  I really appreciate them.  My apologies for not responding earlier.  With the Rex build, 2 Bf109's and this in the paint booth, plus my Honey-Do List, I don't always get to my threads when I should.  I apologize for my tardiness.

Martin, I'm not trying to make an appearance that is unified.  I'm trying to make an appearance that has variation.  I'm trying to make an appearance that includes no wear, some wear; showing the 50/50 paint, more wear; showing aluminum, and a not perfect demarcation line; showing aluminum paint.  The markings I'll work on later after I figure out how to solve the problems I'm facing with the mechanics to this idea.

DSCN5986_zpsfznidimq.jpg

I ran into a problem executing the idea I mentioned above to Martin that I've finally solved.  I has taken two strip-downs of the fuselage to figure it out, but the problem is now solved.

It may not be apparent in this image, but the reason why the aluminum area is showing along the demarcation line is because of the tac I am using.  I applied the tack onto a futured aluminum base before I painted the sand.  But I did not future the sand before I put the tac onto the sand before I painted the blue.  When I sanded the tan the tac residue that had adhered to the matte did a couple of things.  One, it did not sand well, and two, it made a line as wide as the adhered tac along the demarcation line.  To try to remove that line I ended up going all the way to the aluminum.  I had to start over.  Twice

So, after futuring the aluminum, I sprayed on the tans (50/50 and 100%), distressed the tan with a sanding pad, scraped it with an implement, then sprayed a coat of future onto the distressed tan before I located tac onto the tan to make the demarcation line between tan, blue, and light grey.  This worked.  Hallelujah Chorus!

DSCN6042_zpssabmry7h.jpg

Overall.

DSCN6053_zpsjzznexqf.jpg

Showing my intent.  Chipped paint, peeled paint, faded paint, aluminum showing at demarcation line.

DSCN6054_zpsypdtxuxo.jpg

Better than before.  Sometimes it's all I can ask.  Demarcation line, chipped paint, peeled paint.

DSCN6055_zps2ohojxx9.jpg

Nose didn't change.  Chipped paint at fasteners, along wing leading edge, wing leading edge gun covers.

DSCN6056_zpsvupavzuq.jpg

From below.  I'm going to remove the front panel later, at the diagonal, behind the air duct opening.  This will leave the front open and show the rods that operate the breather openings.  I couldn't satisfactorily render the coolant and oil piping, so the back panel will stay and cover them.

DSCN6058_zpsphsjiy6j.jpg

Distressed cowling, chipped fasteners, panel lines, 

DSCN6057_zpstl3k7pys.jpg

Chipped paint at wing leading edge, below cowling.

DSCN6059_zps4oo4ox71.jpg

Faded paint on wing, chipped paint, peeled paint.  Repaired the trailing edge of the wing fillet.

DSCN6060_zps8dkgci0y.jpg

Chipped paint, peeled paint, distressed blue, panel lines.

DSCN6061_zpssyi7aj0t.jpg

Chipped paint, faded paint.

DSCN6062_zps0f8dx19b.jpg

Faded blue toward fuselage, tan toward wing tip.  Chipped and peeled paint.

DSCN6063_zpscqg2cggm.jpg

Faded blue toward fuselage, aluminum showing above gun bay, blue again toward wing tip.  Chipped and peeled paint.

Well, that's done.  It only seemed like it took forever.

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Still plugging away.  Added Campaign stripes and ran a needle along the panel lines.

DSCN6064_zps9swrwmcq.jpg

DSCN6065_zps7swke0pu.jpg

Added red.

DSCN6066_zps6csgsq5c.jpg

DSCN6067_zpsqrmjoein.jpg

DSCN6068_zps9mol57am.jpg

Finished up the tail wheel, almost.  While I was removing the liquid mask from the door opening mechanism it came off.  Something else to fix.

DSCN6069_zpshiyxmmxd.jpg

You may note 2 colors of Blue-Grey.  The deeper of the two is the original.  I didn't like my earlier attempt at stripe making so I masked along the panel lines and stripped it down to plastic.  All coatings and mixtures are the same but the volume (thickness) of paint and gloss coat I laid down are different.

DSCN6070_zpsqezpxeeh.jpg

DSCN6071_zpseyarmiqs.jpg

Not crazy about the paint coming off at the gun openings but I'm going to live with it.

DSCN6072_zpsup8pnjaj.jpg

Overall.

DSCN6074_zpsolj0hzm4.jpg

Underall.

002_zpsn06nblno.jpg

One of the Real Deals in Black & White.  Courtesy SAM Camouflage & Markings No. 3

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Guest Peterpools

Brother bear

Spectacular paint and weathering. What a touch and looking so good. The panel lines have taken on a whole new look after running the needle through them

Keep 'em coming

Peter