Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Bud.  I think that is all a person could ask for, to inspire others.

Everyone builds to their own comfort level.  My scratch-building comfort level, after years of practice, happens to be high.  My painting comfort level, now that's a different story.

I have taken this build over the top, indeed.  It was just so great for me to find that Airplane Parts Catalogue (AN 01-60JE-4, Airplane Parts Catalogue Army Model P-51D, British Model Mustang IV, 25 July 1944, Revised 25 October 1944, Printed by Wm. B. Burord Printing Co. 10-25-44).  It seemed to make scratch-building what there was easy.  So I just went with the flow.

Wolf, please don't put your Mustang away.  You've shown, and I've seen, your progress.  What you do is head and shoulders above what I do.

Thank you every one for your compliments.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 3 months later...

Remember me?  It's been so long that I'm finding an embarrassment to posting.  Anyway, I have been wondering about what I've been doing as what I have been doing is experimenting.  

I have seen around and about models that illustrate chip and wear by way of an additive process.  Chipping and wear are added, painted on.  With this build I decided to do an opposite.  Make chipping and some wear a subtractive process.

For me, this required a LOT of coatings.  Everything was painted Primer Grey, then Aluminum, then Futured.  The Future I determined to be a protective layer.  All top coats were value changed 50% by adding white before being painted.  Then the top coat was painted on full saturation.  Chipping and scraping were done with a scalpel.  Everything was Futured, then washed with Titanium White to shift top coat values.

I still must Future and flat coat to complete the process, so, I am not finished.  But I wanted to take a break from all of this airbrush and detail work and as such, decided to take some pictures and share my anxiety.  Gun Bay first, then Cockpit.  No Engine.  It's in the Repair Shop.

Gun Bay.

DSCN5862_zpswczomace.jpg

Chromate Green.  Used Paynes Grey as a light wash.

DSCN5863_zpsn9grrgyy.jpg

Other one.

DSCN5864_zps0m1lhfml.jpg

DSCN5865_zpspgh80bkj.jpg

DSCN5866_zpslaqmjr0x.jpg

DSCN5867_zpsju1kibl4.jpg

DSCN5868_zps9meet2tb.jpg

Even by my standards, this was tedious.  Brass casings, copper tops.

DSCN5869_zps7xiqbo6z.jpg

A few corrective areas.

DSCN5871_zpsrswukysd.jpg

All wrapped into one.  Guns were painted Flat Black, scraped with a scalpel, Futured, the washed with diluted Enamel  Gun Metal.  Still need to tie in white electrical wire.

Broke the handle setting up for the photo shoot.  

DSCN5872_zpsiwezzxjt.jpg

Other side.

Cockpit.  Interior Green.

DSCN5873_zpsjhwz150a.jpg

Need to correct that scratch with Aluminum.  Other seat structure popped off prepping for photo shoot.  I forget what oil paint I used as dirt build up.

DSCN5874_zpsvpf1tiff.jpg

The rod running along the top interfered with the edge of the armored plate so had to be cut.  Still a little work to be done.

DSCN5875_zpsng8xba41.jpg

To the extreme right, the red-topped handles.  I think they are the bomb/drop tank release handles.  You can see how fine-a-line one can get by using a scalpel to scrape the edge.

DSCN5876_zps76s76gby.jpg

Sorry about the cat hair.

DSCN5877_zpsadu3ihov.jpg

I painted the front 10mm Armor Sand then painted with Flat Black, then Futured.  I used a scalpel and sanding sticks to get to the A.S.  Flat Black is washed with Titanium white then wicked away leaving the white staining.  Sand/Dirt is Umber or Sienna.

More to come.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark