Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

Last night and today I managed to get the air intake re-done. While drilling a small hole to accept the actuator cable for the front air intake flap, the drill bit slipped damaging the paint work. Everything I tried to repair the damage didn't quite work out as well as I wanted it to so I stripped off all the paint and started again. This time, working with all the photos I've collected I added a bunch of detail that I had neglected to add the first time, changed a few colours, and added missing rivet detail, again with Archer Fine Transfer rivet decals. I can't tell you enough how much I like these, they're well worth the money. The whole assembly was first painted with Tamiya's fine white primer and then the final colours were Alclad II Aluminum and the inner portion of the filter assembly was painted Alclad Steel for a bit of contrast. There appears to be some slight fit issues now that I've added some of the fastener details to the to the top of the filter assembly but it should be fairly easy to sort out when I install it all. Anyways, here's the pics that show the whole process from start to finish. The 1st pic shows what it looked like originally, the second, what it looks like now, and the rest show the changes made.

Cheers,

Wolf

Eng-rear-1.jpg

air-intake-5.jpg

air-intake-1.jpg

air-intake-2.jpg

air-intake-4.jpg

air-intake-3.jpg

air-intake-7.jpg

air-intake-6.jpg

Edited by Wolf Buddee

How do you manage to get these REAL spitty parts on your table ??? Really jaw droping work.This is beyond good, my friend ! Please keep us entertained for a bit longer, OK ?..........Harv :bow: :bow: :thumbsup: :mental:

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

You're about the only one I know that can turn a small disaster in a positive. The re-work of the intake assembly looks terrific and the Archer rivets are a game maker. Aces Buddy on the assembly. :thumbsup: :clap2: :thumbsup: :clap2:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Gentlemen, thanks all for your kind words! Much appreciated. At this rate though, if I don't start leavin' stuff alone, I'll be still on this build by Christmas. :mental: I'm hoping to have it finished by the beginning of October for a show in Vancouver. We'll see............

Cheers,

Wolf

Check you out!, Wolf. You BAD! Love that. Especially the black contrast. Above the baffle opening there is a rod system. Is that scratched or the kit part.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark. The rod system above the front intake opening is all kit supplied detail including the photo-etch linkage rod at the side. The only thing I added was a photo-etch nut at the end of the pivot rod to secure the linkage. The black contrast is actually Alclad II Steel. It looks black in the photos because of my lighting. Here's another pic with the lighting bumped up a bit for better colour saturation.

Cheers,

Wolf

air-intake-8.jpg

Wolf - awe inspiring stuff as usual :popcorn:

with you on the Archer rivets, I just got some after seeing what you have done with them (as I expect many others will..) and can't wait to try them out

one question if I may - how do you create such an effective wash for the oil staining?

Thanks

Peter

You amaze me on how you manage to make what appears to be a detailed part look so basic once your done adding your detail. You truely have a great eye for detail and scale. You obviously see the forest through the trees and then see all the trees individually :lol:

Ron

This is definitely the best work in a very long time.... congratulations! I suspect a slight love of labor here!!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan, I do like the Spitfire but this particular kit is one of the nicest collection of plastic pieces I've had the pleasure of assembling. Once I started building, the research on the subject took off and the whole thing snowballed to what where it is now. Tamiya has definitely hit it out of the ballpark with this kit in so many different ways, I just had to do both the kit and the subject justice. In my opinion the Mk IX and the Mk VIII are the nicest looking of all the marks.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Wolf

Hey Wolf! Absolutely stunning work once again. Now having started my own 1/32 Tamiya Spit' IX (http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=40793) it has simply served to demonstrate how exceptional the scratch building in your build really is!!! Love it! :goodjob:

Thank-you Dambusters, it all starts with an incredible kit. I've checked your build out and you're doin' a great job of it. Keep up the fantastic work!

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee