Tamiya's big Spit

Wolf Buddee

It seems I'm a bit late. My apologies.

I've just read the latest additions to your thread Wolf. I am so very sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest of heartfelt condolences.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Ta152H1

Great progress on one of the most beautiful builds I've seen in my life!

Bud...what have you used to replicate the perforated hose clamps?I make them like this;I run a rivet maker on a piece of thin aluminum foil punching thru the latter,then I cut off the thin strips with holes in them,flatten the edges of the holes pressing a steel ruler against them and I've got my perforated hose clamps.Yours are beautiful...do they come from some set for 1/32 or 1/24 racing cars perhaps?

Many thanks for sharing more pictures of your masterpiece in the making!

Regards

Lou

Guest Ta152H1

Any plans to enter this is competition?

I hope he won't.....can you imagine a legion of modelers stampeding out of the hall where the contest is held to seek for immediate psychiatric help? :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

This build is unfair and Bud should be prohibited to enter it in any competition held in the Galaxy and its surroundings!

Cheers

Lou

Edited by Ta152H1

Great progress on one of the most beautiful builds I've seen in my life!

Bud...what have you used to replicate the perforated hose clamps?I make them like this;I run a rivet maker on a piece of thin aluminum foil punching thru the latter,then I cut off the thin strips with holes in them,flatten the edges of the holes pressing a steel ruler against them and I've got my perforated hose clamps.Yours are beautiful...do they come from some set for 1/32 or 1/24 racing cars perhaps?

Many thanks for sharing more pictures of your masterpiece in the making!

Regards

Lou

Good tip,Lou. Thanks

It seems I'm a bit late. My apologies.

I've just read the latest additions to your thread Wolf. I am so very sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest of heartfelt condolences.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark, no apologies necessary. My friend's loss was so unexpected, really threw me for a loop. His wife is the one who's really going to have more than she could imagine to deal with.

Again, thanks Mark!

Cheers,

Wolf

Guest Ta152H1

His wife is the one who's really going to have more than she could imagine to deal with.

I couldn't agree more!

Regards

Lou

Thanks for all the kind responses gentlemen! Also, thanks Lou for the great idea on replicating the hose clamps from foil, neat trick! In my case, I've been using Model Car Garage 1/24th scale pe vintage hose clamps. They're probably a bit too thick for 1/32nd scale but when the model is seen 1:1 they don't look as pronounced as they do in my pics.

Jim, as far as my photo set up is concerned, it couldn't get simpler. I use 4 flexible incandescent desk lamps with 100w bulbs for illumination and I have my camera set on a tripod. I use an 18-55mm lens and have my camera set at an aperture of 36 for best depth of field. All the shots are done on the self timer so I won't induce any camera shake. Finally I'll edit the pics with photoshop elements to down size the file size and to crop the image if I need to. If I don't down size the image file photobucket will automatically do it and then the image has jagged edges which looks really bad. Here's a pic of my set up.

set-up.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

I've just started using Lou's hose clamps method on my Mustang and it it fairly easy and looks great. Lou really came through.

I found your photography setup very similar to mine.

I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and a 105 Macro normally at f36, Aperture Priority, Centered weighted metering , ISO 100, and tripod. I use an electronic cable release so as not to cause any camera/tripod movement. For lighting I've been using 3 floods with 100 watt bulbs and process the RAW images in Lightroom 4.

Do you re-size the images to 1024x768 and then upload to Photobucket or leave the resolution as shot? Your images are crystal clear, sharp as a tack and exposure is perfect.

Peter

Thanks for all the kind responses gentlemen! Also, thanks Lou for the great idea on replicating the hose clamps from foil, neat trick! In my case, I've been using Model Car Garage 1/24th scale pe vintage hose clamps. They're probably a bit too thick for 1/32nd scale but when the model is seen 1:1 they don't look as pronounced as they do in my pics.

Jim, as far as my photo set up is concerned, it couldn't get simpler. I use 4 flexible incandescent desk lamps with 100w bulbs for illumination and I have my camera set on a tripod. I use an 18-55mm lens and have my camera set at an aperture of 36 for best depth of field. All the shots are done on the self timer so I won't induce any camera shake. Finally I'll edit the pics with photoshop elements to down size the file size and to crop the image if I need to. If I don't down size the image file photobucket will automatically do it and then the image has jagged edges which looks really bad. Here's a pic of my set up.

set-up.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks, Wolf, for the tips and the photography lesson. We are benfitting from your work :)

A small update and I really mean small! I've finally managed to scratch-build the pressure relief valve for the glycol header tank. It's the bit that sits at the back of the tank right between the inlet and outlet coolant pipes from the tank to the cylinder heads. The only reason I'm showin' it in a separate post is 'cause it took me a better part of a day to scratch-build and paint. There's a vent pipe that runs from the bottom of the assembly and then runs along the stbd side of the Merlin, finally venting out through a hole in the stbd side engine cowl panel. The photo's I've been working from show a red data plate (?) on the assembly so look for the red dot in front of the 1st spark plug wire and you'll see what I'm talkin' about :mental:

Merlin-15.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee