1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

Thanks gents for all of the kind words. Geoff..a compliment from a modeller of your calibre means alot- thanks.

...Been four years to get to this point. Refining the shape and fixing seams with Bondo or Apoxie Sculpt as required before I begin skinning the jet panel by panel with aluminum. I fixed the junction between the fuselage shark fin and the vertical tail. My resin tail has a slight twist that I'll fix with hot water or a heat gun-

IMG_2989_zps53636f06.jpg

IMG_2998_zpseec46051.jpg

IMG_2997_zps431b3770.jpg

IMG_2992_zps8facd823.jpg

IMG_2991_zpsb14fe817.jpg

IMG_2994_zpsf3e073cc.jpg

IMG_2996_zps66dcf4b2.jpg

IMG_2993_zps9e467670.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete Fleischmann

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello all-

...Slow but steady progress on the big jet-

Here is the female receiver for the pitot boom, fashioned out of brass tube-

SDC13413_zpsxfnzohal.jpg

SDC13414_zpsl39bfxbn.jpg

Also formed the windscreen and polished it out. Began construction of the windscreen bow-

SDC13445_zpsnlpjacbi.jpg

SDC13444_zpsxa9p2hem.jpg

The windscreen will need to flex wide a bit to fit into place, but looking ok so far-

SDC13447_zpsf2g3pehb.jpg

SDC13446_zpscekncypm.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Missing words.....since 2010 this started...but this is amazing stuff going on here.....Mal is going back to Lego Bricks after this....this is ridiciolus....

my way of saying this is craftmanship at high level indeed, and dang what a workshop to.

/Mal

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: That "should" about cover it; well maybe not.. :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: Awesome work Pete!

Edited by Barry

Hi Rich,

I used .040 plexiglass, vac formed over a male master. You really have to get the plexiglass wicked hot to form it. I used Timmy!'s technique to polish it out- I'd post Timmy!'s YouTube video tutorial, but Internet Explorer won't seem to let me today-

Cheers

Pete 

Here is the master for the front cockpit glareshield- I'll pull this in .040 styrene-

SDC13449_zpspuanogxs.jpg

SDC13448_zpscbsywgpz.jpg

SDC13450_zpsa11zcjdz.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys. She's been on the bench so long, she's starting to get a little hangar rash- That is just my IP mule, the real deal is yet to come-

Cheers

Pete

Pete, this build is right off the meter mate! Wow! I showed it to a good friend of mine who graduated on one of these birds in Sheperd from the Luftwaffe in time past and he said it takes him right back to his first flight!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Pete,

I've been wondering where this has been. I just spent 45 minutes going through and catching up, and all I can say is Holy Craparoni, I'm taking up knitting. I've got no words that are adequate to describe this, so I'm going to go off and sit and mumble incoherently in the corner.

This will certainly be your magnum opus for sure.

Cheers

Mike