Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

I like it a lot, great result - I hope to see the finished scene in Putte later this year! I just have to admit that I am pretty shocked that the Zacto radome is completely off - its shape doesn't have much in common with the rear aircraft's radome. Do you reckon the Zacto intake and canopy can also be used without the radome?

Do you reckon the Zacto intake and canopy can also be used without the radome?

I hate to break it to You Ben but the shape of the Zacto canopy is also off... Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the shape of the intake won't be up to spec's as well... Of course it might sound silly replacing OOB shape-issues by an (expensive !!!) AM-resin correction-set which still hold shape-issues but I'm pretty sure Chris was "forced" to make a compromise in order to fit it all to the initial Trumpeter-offering. Therefore I wouldn't regard the Zacto-offering as a "correction-set", but rather as a "shape enhancement-set". Just my 2c of course...

Kind regards,

Rudy.

Edited by Shujaa

I'm pretty sure Chris was "forced" to make a compromise in order to fit it all to the initial Trumpeter-offering. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The entire fuselage of the Trumpeter kit is so wrong that it is nearly impossible to totally fix.  The most obvious points are the canopy and intake, but there really is no way to make them totally accurate in shape and proportion and still have it fit and blend in with the rest of the fuselage.  

This is such an awesome build idea!  Fantastically executed too... I agree that in natural light, it gives the impression of a real aircraft.  Very commendable achievement and I can't wait to see how the refueling aircraft turns out.  Very slight nitpick but I do think the texture of the Mk 82's is tad too heavy, compared to the reference photos.

I agree, the Trumpi fuselage is completely off and Chris' set certainly is a compromise. Still, I don't understand why he made a new radome which is obvisouly completely wrong seen from side. Anyway, the model looks much better when built using his set than from the box. I'll try to figure out what I'm going to do once I build mine...

I don't know enough about the A-7 to compare your model to the real thing and be able to say what's wrong in shape, but I do know what looks good, and thus model is very good. I think that the extra work on the decals was the right call, and the paint and weathering is spot on.