PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

Hi Kent,

Really looking forward to seeing how you get on with this... I assume you've checked out the Cutaway Catalina at NAS Pensacola

http://www.pbyrescue.com/Photos/cutaway/cutaway%20over.htm

Some great reference on http://www.pbyrescue.com/Photos/cutaway.htm

Torben

I'm sure its been mentioned before but the cutaway PBY on display at the NMNA seemed like a good example to study for some ideas.

-d-

Thanks David and Torben. Yes I'm well aware of the Pensacola PBY Cutaway, and it's a great inspiration for this build.

Allthough it's a PBY and not a PBY-5a, so the big wheel well, I'm guessing, is posing some kind of a problem.

Well, It's also more about the technique for the modelling cutaway itself, doing big 'cloudformation' cutaways or following panellines. in some way...

Kent

I can only speak for myself as to how I would approach this problem, which I have thought about for my build.  Much like what Radu did for his Zoukei Mura Ho 229.  For what it is worth, I would think about working along the panel lines first, then consider rivet lines, though hesitantly.  For panel lines, the panels would be able to be relocated onto the model in a rather seamless manner.

The reason for along rivet lines is so interior structure could be a support for the panel.  I have not checked to see if interior structure aligns with the rivet lines.

The vertical stabilizer and wing structure you'll need to build, as the kit doesn't come with either, but that shouldn't be a problem as your skill set is advanced.  Maybe HpH can sell you some stabilizer interior structure?  The cut-away kit wing doesn't go out as far as you've shown.

I like the linear look.  To me, the cloud concept looks unnatural.

Others mileage nay vary.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Clunkmeister

I'm loving your build, as this kit is sitting in my stash, beckoning me to her...

Personally, I'm looking real close at civilian Cats, especially those used for many many years fighting fires in Canada.

Old Cats and Cansos soldiered on for decades, doing some dirty nasty work and generally being used till they gave it up, then scrapped out for replacement airframes and pushed or bulldozed back into the woods to sink into the muskeg. Plenty of old a Cats died fighting fires up there, and plenty remain up there, tore up into twisted junk.

image_zpswj24vyob.jpg

image_zps6zqjcwcz.jpg

Edited by Clunkmeister

Have to say, some of those Civvie Cats look lovely Ernie!

Tough call on the cutaway, I spent a couple of hours looking through my kit yesterday and it is truly magnificent, and seems a shame to hide all that detail. However I am not a huge fan of cutaways.  If you were to then I would go along the panel line route.

You know, I have never seen a pic of one of these finished, I did a google search yesterday and came up with nothing.  However I guess there is a few years work in this kit and I am sure you would need a break to relieve the intensity of the build from time to time. 

Cheers

Anthony

Guest Clunkmeister

Agreed, Anthony. The Cat was produced in Canada, so there were plenty around for many years, and in all types of livery as well...

I can tell you, this project is a massive undertaking and I want to be sure of what I'm doing before getting started on this 'beast'.

There's also a bit of, what artists call 'fear of the blank canvas' - So all of your comment's are most welcome and they are all being considered ;-)

One of the decisions I will have to make, is which version to do. 

XsZioNe.jpg

1) L-857 PBY-5A Catalina FSN Karup 1953, dark blue overall...

BYxt72Z.jpg

2) L-852 PBY-5A Catalina 'Papoose' Greenland 1955

D7h2xb2.jpg

3) Or... Taking it all the way, converting it into a PBY-6A, L-861 Greenland ca. 1965...

What do you think? Kent

Edited by kkarlsen