PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

All three schemes are strong but 1 is my least favourite and whilst 3 is a great scheme, I love the classic simplicity of 2's Danish paintwork and markings showing the Catalina's lines off so well. Whichever you choose I am so watching this build Kent... 

Torben

• 2 months later...

I've followed a few builds and none were ever finished as far as I could tell.  I'm not a fan of cut-a-ways, so I'm with Ben on the not to go that way vote.   As for what version to model, well I'm really old school, as I have the Revell 1/48 scale kit in my stash to one day be built as Strawberry 5.

Joel

• 2 months later...

So, after a break I think I'm going to begin working on this 'baby'

I have decided to take 'the plunge' and do cutaways of the fuselage to display some of the interior.

The Interior is so well modeled by HPH (Thumbs up HPH!!!)  that it seems such a shame to cover everything up, and just build a huge PBY.

SXZ8CIQ.jpg

Anyways, I allready decided that when I did the HK Models B-25J...

uOP38Ii.jpg

GRqVsO3.jpg

So, I'm preparing for some 'plastic surgery'

Edited by kkarlsen

Kent, Looking forward to the cutaway. If you are into it, then I say more power to you! I really only like reading about people taking the path not travelled

I'm right there with you Jim, I think there's a saying in English to 'push the envelope'

The meaning is to 'attempt to extend the current limits of ones performance' or something like that.

But I must admit, I'm out of my depth here, not at all confident about what kind of work this project involves?

I know this is a resin kit, but will you be scratching any interior details?

I'm getting the popcorn read for this build by the way  :popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Dan

I'm not sure how much extra detailing is necessary, HPH has done a wonderful job on the interior. But I do expect some wires and cables. Maybe some of the crews personal stuff to bring it to life?

Kent

Good on you mate! Glad you chose panel lines instead of bubble type holes. What are you going to do with the removed sections? Don't throw them out as they might be helpful to me to use the sections to cover my undercarriage bays for my flying boat conversion.

Look forward to updates, I know you are going to do an amazing job!

Cheers

Anthony