Jim Barry

So I glued the wings' skin together and I'm pretty happy. It was with some hope that the tips would work out but they just had too much kink in them. This side is not bad but the other is too wonky. So close! I think I'll preserve the bottom skin and build up the top tip with Magic Sculpt and Mr Surfacer. Not sure I'll be able to get the same spar effect but I guess I have to try. Other plan B ideas circulate. 

IMG_7549_zpsyc4reuxl.jpg

So here's the work on the tips. I could fill the warping in the front of the tip with Magic Sculpt,  but needed to remove the warp in the rear and rebuild. I went with basswood and then Mr Surfacer which is just applied here. It's Ugly but I do not mind blogging the bad days . I'm learning with a significant build such as this that they need to be embraced (I think). Soon enough it'll be sanded and be pretty again! 

Hope everyone has a good weekend. 

737331_zpssrwbhalc.jpg

737332_zpslwn5tau3.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

Progress on the wing today, Nearly done shaping the tip (still a few little itty bitty gremlin bumps)   and added an aileron to the port side. Primed to test for irregularities. Joe, Thanks for the advice getting the wing's  skin to reattach after I had cut the aileron. Just a little styrene rod was all I needed. Glad I could make it real rather than a scribed aileron. 

FullSizeRender%2023_zps4smos5lf.jpg

Jim,

Glad to see things working out on saving that wing.

For me, all those different shapes of plastruct, balsa and balsa dust, brass and aluminum tubing and rod, basswood strips, bits of styrene....all have many potential uses in this kind of work.

Also looking forward to your next update !

Joe

Anthony, Joe, Jim. Thanks for the company and kind words. Thought I'd zoom out for a 2 month reality check.   I'm now not exactly sure  how to put it all together in sequence. For instance, the tail could go on now (picture is just a dry fit), but then handling it all during the assembly of the the landing gear could jeopardize it. Perhaps tail last .  The lower wings could go soon (after I build them)  and then gear and then the wing struts and then the wing and then the tail. (followed by everyone's favorite: Rigging!), Just musing for now. I think I need a jig to hold it all which might give more options and a safety factor over just building it my lap! 

FullSizeRender%2024_zpsaegkfuea.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

I have been away on my travels Jim and have just returned to catch up on your Fury!.....It is looking absolutely fantastic!

it's got to be ..lower wing....struts ...top wing then tail...hasn't it?...that's the way I would approach it.

Which ever way you choose I can't wait to see it all put together! :)

Dan, Thanks. Scratch guys need to stick together! Keep that Superstar going!

Martin, Welcome back!  I was away from this for a few weeks getting some fresh air away from the demands of the "baby"  so you did not miss that much. Steady as she goes. I think I see a lot of fun in near term as parts production trails off and assembly kicks in. I hope some B-17 updates show up here soon. Your work really gives me inspiration so keep it up!

Cees,  Thanks! That's quite a nice thing to say.   I started this on a idea that a  scratchbuilt 1/24 Fury would be a very cool thing to behold regardless of the exact depth and quality of it all. As it unfolds here it is sort of a delightful surprise that I only had hopes for when I began. Hope all is well with your projects

Thanks Jim! I'm ahead of my own schedule too. 

Day off from work today. So "work" was  the main landing gear struts. The lower half is some airfoil shaped tube that I scored at a hobby store years ago for some reason. The upper half inside is brass tube that I bent into ovalish shape, wrapped it in tape and the covered it in Litho (again, thanks P.C.!  ) The middle part is also litho and was incredibly hard to cut to the right shape though a pattern helped, it was hard to make the pattern even. After being so pleased that I did it, I was sort of let down by the realization that I had to make another one. But, I took to this one a little easier since I knew what I was doing and it came out OK, too. Then I molded some aluminum wire into the ends with Magic Sculpt. One end was a loop for the axel and the other was a straight tip to insert into the fuselage. I finished up the tires (from the Harley) which had this nasty tread  that took a lot of trial and error to fill and sand. Vinyl just does not like to work with things, but I won by brute force and a new putty I like called perfect pIastic putty.  Mr Surfacer 500 did the last coat and then sanded and painted. Then it was time for the axel fashioned from alum tube and covered using more litho for the naca shape. Then I put the plane in my new jig and sort of built it all using 5 min epoxy to bond parts. After I was all done, I set it down to test it  and it was leaning to one side! I had a bad cue on where to drill one of the holes an so, I tore had to take it apart, re drill a hole a notch higher and rebuild it.  And now I just need two more struts and short of rigging, It'll be done.  

FullSizeRender%2025_zpsred6h77x.jpg

FullSizeRender%2026_zpstublrxor.jpg