dH Vampire

Hello all. 

This is a place holder for my Silver Anniversary group build entrant.

The Infinity models dH Vampire. 

PXL-20240307-144553887.jpg

This will be predominantly silver and my plan is to try to replicate an airframe that found a home in the Planes of Fame museum.

If anyone has any reference images of this exhibit would you be kind enough to share them please. 

Cheers,

Guy

Thanks everyone. 

I shall finish off the Spitfire then make a start on this one. 

A couple of quick questions for everyone. 

What's the low down on this kit? 

Is there anything I should be aware of before I begin? 

I'm happy to include box content photos and descriptions but are most folk already up to speed with what's included? I don't wish to bore people with stuff they already know. 

The plan for this build is to replicate the heavily weathered, battered and worn offering from the desert. 

She has no pylons, no fuel tanks, blanks over her intakes (and prob jet pipe) and at least one flat tyre.

Also, the markings are almost non-existent which is helpful.

What are folks opinions on kit in the cockpit? Is it likely that most of the instruments and switchgear will have been removed?

It's difficult to see whether there's even a seat in the cockpit. :hmmm:

I'm looking forward to trying to recreate the patched wooden panels and I'm open to suggestions on how to go about that. 

Cheers,

Guy 

Hi Thierry, yes, the main canopy is very yellow although the windscreen appears clear. 

It is an interesting approach to creating the airframe so I'll pay attention to that part of the build. I appreciate the heads-up ^_^

Cheers 

Excellent project Guy, love this kind of thing. There was a battered Vampire in the museum at Gweru (Zimbabwe) when I visited there some years ago, it was the first time that I realised that (in true de Havilland style) the “fuselage” was made of wood! 

4 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

The plan for this build is to replicate the heavily weathered, battered and worn offering from the desert. 

She has no pylons, no fuel tanks, blanks over her intakes (and prob jet pipe) and at least one flat tyre.

Also, the markings are almost non-existent which is helpful.

Don’t forget the diamondback rattlesnake dozing in shade of the wheel wells :innocent: 

True story. I nearly stumbled on one under a McDonnell F3H Demon during my visit in the Planes of Fame museum in Pima, Ariz. .
It was in 1981. Apparently I survived! :P