Looks like Eduard is reassessing 1/32

RBrown

On the contrary it's never been easier to purchase a model kit, it's just a few keystrokes away, night and day.

Again, I do not know what the real modeling demographics look like but I do know there is more than what you see at modeling shows.

Modeling habits have evolved, a quick look on social media reveals a whole world that is not necessarily visible from forums such as this one or a modeling show table.

I've heard about the demise of the hobby for the past 35 years, older folks than me for probably much longer than that.

On the Hyperscale forum Vladimir Sulc responded to the question why a 1/32 scale Spitfire IX, with the Tamiya kit being available...

"The main reason why my thinking about a new 1/32 scale kit leads to the Spitfire Mk.IX is that the 3D model design for this type is complete in 1/32 scale. In fact, 1/48 scale kits once arise by scaling down this design. Using this design saves us about 6 months of work compared to some kit we would have scaled up from a 1/48 scale 3D model, like Mustang or Bf 109 G. Plus we can easily create a base for later releases of the Mk.I and Mk.V Spitfires. This all offers some pretty irresistible advantages. 

As for other potential projects, we'll do what has been most successful in 1/48 scale, because the principles of why any given kit sells well are still the same, regardless of scale. 

The Hellcat is not a bad kit, it sells well, but Spitfires, Bf 109 F/G, Fw 190, P-51D and MiG-21 sell better. And that pretty clearly tells us what we will eventually be releasing in 1/32 scale."

Personally I think Eduard would be making a mistake to trod the weary path to yet another 109/190/P-51D. With the kits that are out now or coming, those subjects are so well covered in 1/32 that it's going to be difficult to compete. Perhaps a Mk I Spitfire with a full engine done in the style of Tamiya's superkits might find an audience, in lieu of an actual Tamiya kit, and as a foil for Kotare's simpler extant release. But ZM has that base already covered as far as the late Bf 109s are concerned, and a new-tool kit from Kotare is just around the corner as well. We're sorely in need of a quality, modern P-51B, and it's still uncertain whether ZM is really coming out with one - plus, Eduard is obviously unconcerned about that kind of duplication. The Hellcat is in the same boat - nothing to choose from but a legacy kit or a Trumpeter hash, though obviously it wouldn't be as popular as a subject compared to the P-51B. The MiG-21 is a no-brainer, as is the rest of the early MiG family.

All that said, if Eduard creates a new kit in 1/32 scale of a subject I'm interested in, irrespective of what's already out there, I will in all likelihood buy it.

Kev

25 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Personally I think Eduard would be making a mistake to trod the weary path to yet another 109/190/P-51D. With the kits that are out now or coming, those subjects are so well covered in 1/32 that it's going to be difficult to compete. Perhaps a Mk I Spitfire with a full engine done in the style of Tamiya's superkits might find an audience, in lieu of an actual Tamiya kit, and as a foil for Kotare's simpler extant release. But ZM has that base already covered as far as the late Bf 109s are concerned, and a new-tool kit from Kotare is just around the corner as well. We're sorely in need of a quality, modern P-51B, and it's still uncertain whether ZM is really coming out with one - plus, Eduard is obviously unconcerned about that kind of duplication. The Hellcat is in the same boat - nothing to choose from but a legacy kit or a Trumpeter hash, though obviously it wouldn't be as popular as a subject compared to the P-51B. The MiG-21 is a no-brainer, as is the rest of the early MiG family.

All that said, if Eduard creates a new kit in 1/32 scale of a subject I'm interested in, irrespective of what's already out there, I will in all likelihood buy it.

Kev

Quite agree, a MiG-21 would be a homerun, as would the -51B/C. I've built both Eduard's and Tamiya's 48 th -109Gs, and to be honest, the Eduard -109 just doesn't look quite right [ I put 'em side by side] and the Eduard looks kind of "toothy" .That's the only way I can describe it.  Nice kit, very good fit and detail but the end result is well.... I know a lot of people like 'em,  but I won't be getting another.

21 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm regularly reading that. This is true but limiting the logic to basic economics is an error when there is another elephant in the room: modellers demography! Our hobby is aging and the renewal of the population has a very bad rate except in a very limited number of western countries and European brands do not really sell in China. This is important as a new product will not be bought by many 'new' customers. It is targeted to the same population than the prior one we already have in the stash and that will be possibly difficult to surpass... So, yes, the availability of existing competing products has an obvious impact on profitability. I can give you ten examples of cases of releases I did not get or just purchased one kit of the range because I already have multiple copies of that topic in my stash. I know all my friends are doing the same and typically this applies to "topics that sell"...

That's a very interesting take on the demographics[age wise]. My club has a bunch of "grey beards' but we also have an increasing number of teens and 20 somethings too which is a good thing. When I went to Japan in 2014 , I got to attend a contest there, a real eye opener. There were just guessing about 4,000 entries [ across all categories] and a huge percentage[~45%] of the participants were in their early 20s with a sizable group of females to boot, there were a lot in their teens [and younger ],and they do/did very nice work. A lot of military type entries in the mix. I got to talk to a lot of people there [ thankfully their English was very good]  The hobby is booming there in Japan at least. Oh and this was a "local contest" I might add, not a regional or national.

13 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

That's a very interesting take on the demographics[age wise]. My club has a bunch of "grey beards' but we also have an increasing number of teens and 20 somethings too which is a good thing. When I went to Japan in 2014 , I got to attend a contest there, a real eye opener. There were just guessing about 4,000 entries [ across all categories] and a huge percentage[~45%] of the participants were in their early 20s with a sizable group of females to boot, there were a lot in their teens [and younger ],and they do/did very nice work. A lot of military type entries in the mix. I got to talk to a lot of people there [ thankfully their English was very good]  The hobby is booming there in Japan at least. Oh and this was a "local contest" I might add, not a regional or national.

Indeed, Japan is an exception as Czechia or Ukraine. However, situation is not the same in most western countries. So, there is a quantitative issue. You can add to that the fact European brands like Eduard miss most of the Chinese market as it is already saturated by the brands that are very cheap locally. Hopefully production of models changed and it is possible to be break even with far lower numbers of production. No manufacturer would have considered a release of 2000 kits twenty years ago!

15 hours ago, RBrown said:

The Hellcat is not a bad kit, it sells well, but Spitfires, Bf 109 F/G, Fw 190, P-51D and MiG-21 sell better. And that pretty clearly tells us what we will eventually be releasing in 1/32 scale."

When I read this sentence, I see an inconsistency here.

They just released the 1/48 P-51B.

If best sellers in 1/48 scale will determine future releases in 1/32  they think 1/48 P-51B won't sell enough since they didn't include it in 1/32.

It's seriously weird.

I'm seriously tired of waiting

16 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

As long as they bring something that makes sense I disagree.  ZM is a different animal, I would take an Eduard 109 over the ZM version personally.  I have the ZM 190, I will build it, but in all likelihood I will make no real effort on the engine and leave out a bunch of other parts as I won:t build it cowlings open.  I do like ZMs take on the cockpit and landing gear better than any other 1/32 190 so that is enough for me to want to build the kit.  But an Eduard 190 with the same level of detail in the Cockpit and wheel bays, with simplified Engine and Cowlings would be fine by me and I would buy one.  I am not burdened with a hoard of Hasegawa 1/32 109s or 190s and have no particular love for those kits.

21 hours ago, Johnny Cloud said:

On the contrary it's never been easier to purchase a model kit, it's just a few keystrokes away, night and day.

Again, I do not know what the real modeling demographics look like but I do know there is more than what you see at modeling shows.

Modeling habits have evolved, a quick look on social media reveals a whole world that is not necessarily visible from forums such as this one or a modeling show table.

I've heard about the demise of the hobby for the past 35 years, older folks than me for probably much longer than that.

What I meant is that when we were children we could find models close to everywhere. We did not have to be 'active' to find and purchase some. Obviously it is easy to order online but no child is going to do that spontaneously. As a child I had pocket money I used to buy models far before my son got a bank card. A child first need to have been in contact with models to be interested in them and now this is not anymore easy. With regard to social media, teenagers do not use Facebook. My son told me this is a thing for old people! They use TikTok or Instagram and such networks are not really very modelling oriented as Facebook can be. As you, I never considered the hobby is dying. I simply indicated it changed drastically.

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

What I meant is that when we were children we could find models close to everywhere. We did not have to be 'active' to find and purchase some. Obviously it is easy to order online but no child is going to do that spontaneously. As a child I had pocket money I used to buy models far before my son got a bank card. A child first need to have been in contact with models to be interested in them and now this is not anymore easy. With regard to social media, teenagers do not use Facebook. My son told me this is a thing for old people! They use TikTok or Instagram and such networks are not really very modelling oriented as Facebook can be. As you, I never considered the hobby is dying. I simply indicated it changed drastically.

I know exactly what you mean [ probably close to the same age], it's STILL that way in Japan. I thought I was reborn when I was there. They're in department stores , news stands , HARDWARE stores  of all places. you name it!

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

This is true, but I would say the biggest roadblock to kids picking up kits on a whim now is the prices of modern kits.

Here in the US, you can find some kits at craft stores such as Michaels, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby so some kits may get exposed when dragged there by their mothers.