MDC Hawker Typhoon W/Cdr R E P Brooker

mozart

D-Day arrives:

NXdAuP.jpg

Z5IXzQ.jpg

Wing Commander Richard Brooker was serving with 198 Squadron, part of 123 Wing at this time, he had previously been, amongst others, flying with 56 Squadron flying Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain.

vGEnU8.jpg

By June 1944 Brooker was senior enough to have taken a “back seat”, flying operationally when he chose and perhaps on some less dangerous ops., but that wasn’t in his nature, he had to be in the thick of it, and be seen to be:

CeqWhI.jpg
He was sadly killed a few weeks before the war’s end flying Tempests over Europe. This build is a tribute to him and all the other brave lads flying in the highly dangerous ground attack role.

The kit, the excellent MDC resin one:

JIwUaj.jpg

I enjoy resin, not everybody’s cup of tea I know, and there’s always the danger of warped parts etc, but inspections so far indicate all’s good with mine…..fingers crossed for when proper assembly starts soon.  A bit of eye candy:

PEsSCq.jpg

Edited by mozart

I thought you might!  Good subject, Max, and have fun as you work your magic.

Just for interest, when I went to Guernsey for a few days last September, our route back passed directly over the former RAF Thorney Island.  This is the best snap I managed, but you can still make out the airfield, line of hangars, and runways.  (For anyone interested, shot from the Embraer 195 belonging to Aurigny.)

20230917-073430.jpg

Thanks Mike, I can just make Thorney Island out!  

I've made a start, boring work cleaning up bits:

G9xyGd.jpg

PchkIO.jpg

4XlM1A.jpg

8jIAi7.jpg

But what I'm learning about the kit is how carefully Brian Fawcett has planned its design, for example one half of the fuselage as shown above has a "tab" running the length of the top fuselage, the under fuselage and the nose, and the other half has a corresponding "slot" plus a couple of other smaller ones around the cockpit, all of which ensures a very reassuring and positive "key" so that the two halves fit together very neatly.  Time spent cleaning up and trimming now will be saved later with filling and sanding.....preparation is everything!! 

Edited by mozart

It's nice to see another one of those built, it can be challenging at times but as is the case with PCM kits it is well worth it in the end, I was really pleased with the way mine turned ou.

Roll on Max it will be good to see you work your magic on it.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, dennismcc said:

It's nice to see another one of those built, it can be challenging at times but as is the case with PCM kits it is well worth it in the end, I was really pleased with the way mine turned ou.

Roll on Max it will be good to see you work your magic on it.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I’m looking forward to properly “getting into it”. I’m prepared for but hoping not to encounter too many difficult surprises! 

I found this profile of Richard Brooker’s D-Day Typhoon:

7PV8P6.jpg

The thing that struck me was the serial number replicated on the tail fin….was this standard practice or because the fuselage serial number was obscured?

The only photo I have seen is the one I have already posted:

mZ5xJl.jpg

where the tail fin isn’t visible, but the further blurred Typhoon image definitely shows some lettering in that area. Is it speculation I wonder also about the spinner design and colour? Definitely not black or sky, some kind of stripe there. :hmmm:

But then funnily enough I almost immediately find another picture which must have been taken seconds after which does show the tail fin and lettering numbers:

DNPRpi.jpg

Could even be a couple of stills from a cine film? I wonder. 

Edited by mozart

I never got this kit but boy-oh-boy I was sorely tempted.  You see, I have an aversion to resin kits.  Oh how I wish a major injection molded kit manufacturer would release a 1/32 Typhoon (both car door and bubble top versions complete with options for 4-bladed prop, cuckoo intake doors, Tempest tailplanes, etc.). 

19 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

I never got this kit but boy-oh-boy I was sorely tempted.  You see, I have an aversion to resin kits.  Oh how I wish a major injection molded kit manufacturer would release a 1/32 Typhoon (both car door and bubble top versions complete with options for 4-bladed prop, cuckoo intake doors, Tempest tailplanes, etc.). 

The market is most definitely there that’s for sure! I actually prefer resin to IM, I find they seem to go together so much more smoothly but a good car-door IM kit would get my attention too. :D