1/32 Kotare conversion; Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.Vb YO-A 401 Sqn RCAF.

On 2/27/2024 at 11:45 PM, nmayhew said:

Very cool conversion Andy!

Not sure I could bring myself to chop up one of my Kotare Spits, but never unhappy to see a MkV being built

Nick

Rhank you Nick, its not to much chopping up but mainly filling and re-scribing wing panels which I hate doing! I spent a bit of time test fitting various parts for the Mk.V conversion on to my Mk.I before I took the plunge so I knew I wasn't going to ruin a kit.

Regards. Andy 

On 2/28/2024 at 8:39 AM, mozart said:

Fabulous work Andy, love all the thought and attention to detail going into this ambitious “home” conversion. :clap2:

Think I'm getting there with it Max, so far so good but do need to get the lower aileron detail sorted as I'm unsure how to sort it at the moment.

Regards. Andy 

20 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Nice work! 

I like the satin black on some of those parts.  Very neat!

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul, I masked round everything which took a little time and then airbrushed Tamiya semi gloss black. Was far quicker on my second build and well worth the effort. 

Regards. Andy 

12 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

The Vb is my favourite mark too so, while I'm waiting for Kotare to do it, it's very exciting and interesting to follow your build. Lovely and clever work!

Thanks for looking in Zac, I just couldn't wait and had everything I needed so thought I'd give it a go!

When Kotare do release a Vb I have a USAF subject in mind in desert scheme.

Regards. Andy 

On 3/14/2024 at 3:21 PM, dennismcc said:

Great modelling, and looks like lots of fun as well.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis and yes I'm really enjoying this build and making the most of the parts I have in the stash to turn her in to a Vb.

Regards. Andy 

A little more done and learning from my MkI early build I found I had huge problems fitting the the wing assembly to the fuselage following the kit instructions and gluing the fillets to the wing so this time I glued the fillets to the fuselage hoping for a better fit

20240315_195916.jpg

I do love the way Kotare have captured the look of the wing fillet to fuselage joint, it looks very good indeed in my eyes.

After a test fit and taping the fuselage together I dug out my now out of production Department of Correction Rotol propeller out. This is a really nice set and a shame they are no longer around but the fit is really good on the Kotare kit

20240314_194935.jpg

20240314_195105.jpg

Here are the blades which as you can see they have gone to the extent to depict the brass sheath on the leading edge

20240314_195203.jpg

Looking foward to getting this painted, decaled  and weathered!

And a test fit of the lower wing to the fuselage to see where we are and the general look of things

20240315_195456.jpg

So far so good and definitely got a better fit of the wing assembly with the fillets glued to the fuselage halves instead.

Regards. Andy