1/32 Kotare conversion; Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk.Vb YO-A 401 Sqn RCAF.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:01 AM, MikeC said:

Anyway,  don't want to derail your thread.  May I ask why you decided to replace the seat?  I was planning to go with the kit seat for mine.

I've replaced the seat with a Barracudacast "plastic seat" Mike. Early Spitfire's had metal seats but Mk.V's and onwards had plastic seats fitted which were an interesting red colour 

3138820-e7a6e1cd406366d83d866fad0ef80e47

Regards. Andy 

On 2/5/2024 at 6:10 AM, Biggles87 said:

I hope the Yahu panel fits decently, I have one also and a Barracuda seat, so yours could almost be a rehearsal fir mine. :)

John

The Yahu panel needs quite a bit of adjustment to fit which is no suprise given thecthe HB kit has a terrible flat and oversized shape to it. You can shape it down and still looks good but I'm not prepared to pay £30 odd quid for a Quinta one so I'll use what I have!

Regards. Andy 

So plenty done while waiting for the putty/ Mr Surfacer to dry fully so I can sand and finish the wings properly properly. Some more work on the cockpit and first up getting thr new and accurate Barracudacast 3D printed control column to fit. 

20240208-181355.jpg

20240208-192716.jpg

Also completed the work on the fuselage halves getting the cockpit to Mk V spec. I used the Barracudacast resin parts wherever possible as they are so much nicer than injection moulding plastic!

20240209-214234.jpg

Next job is to get the wing assembly together,hopefully will look half decent and pass as a V.b

Regards.Andy 

6 hours ago, monthebiff said:

I've replaced the seat with a Barracudacast "plastic seat" Mike. Early Spitfire's had metal seats but Mk.V's and onwards had plastic seats fitted which were an interesting red colour 

3138820-e7a6e1cd406366d83d866fad0ef80e47

Regards. Andy 

Ah, of course.  It is an interesting colour: what's your mix for it? I use Tamiya XF64+XF7 1:1.

• 2 weeks later...

The Barracuda control columns look nice, I think I might invest in a set of those.

I dragged out my abandoned HB MkV yesterday to see what I could use from it and was disappointed to see the the Grey Matter prop blades were badly warped so some hot water and gentle persuasion will be needed.

Looking forward to more.

John

So quite a bit done recently on my Vb conversion. I decided to look at the fuselage halves and so added raised rivet detail to the wireless and accumulator doors care of Archer resin details

20240210_124805.jpg

Also worked on getting the Quickboost exhausts fit and some cutting away of the original exhaust connection points are needed.

20240209_214041.jpg

the upper half is the modified one ready for the new exhaust

20240209_214020.jpg

progressing nicely along, so far so good.

Regards. Andy 

I assume that it has raised rivets on the rear fuselage but not on the hatches, which is a strange omission.

I've just had a look at the Anyz rivets and they do look good but I wouldn't to do a whole fuselage with them, I don't think my dodgy fingers would cope.

John

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I assume that it has raised rivets on the rear fuselage but not on the hatches, which is a strange omission.

I've just had a look at the Anyz rivets and they do look good but I wouldn't to do a whole fuselage with them, I don't think my dodgy fingers would cope.

John

You also need a very good quality pair of tweezers John to hold them.

10 hours ago, mozart said:

I like it Andy, can’t beat a bit of surgery to make a build interesting! Being a “rivet” fan, have you considered the Anyz option? Looks rather daunting at first but actually very easy to do.

Thank you Max, must say I've enjoyed cutting this up a little and drilling some nice big holes in the wings (more later). Now as you know Max I do likeafee positive rivets here and there and yes the Anyz stuff looks very interesting indeed. I like their switches/ toggles etc and as you say look daunting but with the correct drills / tools are super easy to install.

Regards. Andy 

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

John

Hi John, Kotare havnt dropped the ball at all regarding the missing raised rivets on the hatches. Early Spitfire's had flush rivets on these panels but as the Mk.V started to appear then these panels had raised rivet detail. Don't forget I'm using an early Spitfire and going foward another couple of Mk's or so.

Regards. Andy 

Yes my mistake Andy, something was niggling at me so I started looking through some of my Spitfire references today and came across some Mk1s without the raised rivets on the hatches.

I also looked at Kotare’s website and discovered that among the new parts for their Mk Va are the two hatches with rivets amongst other things so I’ll probably wait for that for a Mk Vb conversion.

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Yes my mistake Andy, something was niggling at me so I started looking through some of my Spitfire references today and came across some Mk1s without the raised rivets on the hatches.

I also looked at Kotare’s website and discovered that among the new parts for their Mk Va are the two hatches with rivets amongst other things so I’ll probably wait for that for a Mk Vb conversion.

Cheers

John

Yes, the port wing fillet needs some re-scribing and a little work on the engine cowls but I'm past the difficult bits on this conversion  can't blame you for waiting though John.

Regards. Andy 

So been busy working on getting the wing conversion completed after the filling and re-scribing. Upper and lower wing bulges added

20240227_213958.jpg

20240227_214011.jpg

And then some nice big holes on the wing leading edge for the Hispanno's 

20240217_205855.jpg

Next up was to modify the fabric ailerons 

20240217_010344.jpg

detail sanded off

20240217_012103.jpg

And then added the plastic card to replicate the metal ailerons

20240217_215621.jpg

the Kotare kit is pretty devoid of rivet detail so I will keep the metal ailerons in keeping with the rest of the kit. 

A quick test fit to the wings, be very careful with the outer location points as they are quite weak and broken both the starboard outer points on both kits while test fitting and being careful in the process!

20240217_224537.jpg

And finally, wingtip fitted using spare Tamiya parts

20240224_134546.jpg

20240224_134648.jpg

Pretty happy with how that has turned out so far so time to get the cockpit painted up and start bringing it all together.

Regards. Andy