Electric Vehicles

DeanKB

1 hour ago, Phartycr0c said:

Iv'e got a Polestar 2 through work and I love it. Took it to France from the Midlands and had 0 issues as far as charger availability charge times etc . A charge to 90% which is recommended gives me a range of around 240 miles 220 actual. 

It costs me £2.10 a day to charge when I need to. (around 3 times a week) 

And the acceleration on electric cars is just ridiculously fast, making them great fun to drive.

4 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

My home charger cost £800, and it runs off 240 volts, at 7Kw. Why would you need 400v? Yes, it'll charge quicker, but as it's a home charger, it's got all night to charge your car, so doesn't need to be super fast charging?

The problem is actually elsewhere. My wife has a ceramics/clay sculpting/pottery side activity and will need an electrical oven that should work between 8 and 14h per cooking session. This means that device will need most of the standard home power. So with a normal installation using it and charging a car at night is alas a no go. <_<

16 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

The problem is actually elsewhere. My wife has a ceramics/clay sculpting/pottery side activity and will need an electrical oven that should work between 8 and 14h per cooking session. This means that device will need most of the standard home power. So with a normal installation using it and charging a car at night is alas a no go. <_<

A happy wife is of far more importance than an EV!

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I have a ‘21 BMW that has that system, and it pretty much seems almost useless to me.  It’s basically auto stop/start to shut off the engine while sitting at a stop light to save a little gas.  But, living in Florida, the engine restarts pretty quickly because the battery can’t run the air conditioner for more than a few seconds with the engine off.  Plus, it’s incredibly annoying when you’re sitting in a drive through or some traffic situation where you’re constantly stopping and moving.  Unfortunately, BMW disabled the ability to cancel the auto stop-start when they put the “mild hybrid” system in unless you hack the car software.

I think hybrids are fine, mild hybrids are about useless, and full electrics have too many restrictions for most people.

It's nothing to do with the auto stop-start on mine, a 2020 Ford Puma.  I still have the ability to cancel the auto stop/start manually.  They told me that I probably wouldn't notice when the electric secondary motor kicked in, and they were right - I don't.  Where I see improvements is in the fuel efficiency: I routinely get over 50mpg on a longer journey, something I've never managed before.  OK, the mpg is slightly lower in the winter, that's understood and accepted.

It's fun to drive, it looks good, and it's far from "useless".

3 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I really want a Tesla Cybertruck tri motor with beast mode.

just don’t have anywhere to park/charge it. 

P

my son preordered a Tesla Cybertruck...he's been waiting for a long, damn time for it.

11 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I really want a Tesla Cybertruck tri motor with beast mode.

just don’t have anywhere to park/charge it. 

7 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

my son preordered a Tesla Cybertruck...he's been waiting for a long, damn time for it.

After owning my lifted and geared Toyota, and seeing so many pics of Cybertrucks stuck in the tamest of off-road conditions, (not to mention Musk himself) Id have to take a hard  pass on the Cybertruck. 

1 hour ago, LSP_Ron said:

Not in a million years would I ever own one. Not here in Canada. It's too cold here (minus 40F last week) and distances between cities is to great. The entire UK is only 7/8th the size of just my province of Alberta. 

Absolutely. Those temperatures play havoc with batteries, and the UK is so small, a 300 mile range covers a huge portion of the country, whereas that's unlikely to get you to the end of your driveway.

52 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

After owning my lifted and geared Toyota, and seeing so many pics of Cybertrucks stuck in the tamest of off-road conditions, (not to mention Musk himself) Id have to take a hard  pass on the Cybertruck. 

Couldn't agree more. As much as I like EV's, Musk's brand is doing Tesla absolutely no favours whatsoever. 

Just now, vince14 said:

I'm not against them per se, but I've yet to find one that gives me the 'fizz' (as James May would put it). I tested a Porsche Taycan last year and found it a bit 'meh' if I'm honest. I'm sure one will come along at some point that wows me, but for now I'll stick with my Supra.

2023-07-21-16-24-32.jpg

Serious car! It looks like it's going very fast, even when it's parked. And the very shy & retiring bright orange makes it look even faster. That bonnet is huge, I'd imagine there's a hell of an engine under it?

6 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

After being a Jeep guy (6 of them of varying years) and completing 7 different Easter Jeep Safaris here un the US (a big rock crawling off-road event in Utah)and now owning my first Toyota ever I can safely say I'll not ever be going back.

Toyota's are ridiculously reliable. We bought our son a little Aygo a few years back, and we've never had any issues with it whatsoever, despite being driven as a university run around for 3 years - students are not known for their car maintenance skills, and Kai struggles with toping the windscreen water bottle up.