Electric Vehicles

DeanKB

2 hours ago, chrish said:

Looks like an old ford engine but the brake booster is on the wrong side…well wrong side for me.

possibly a British thing?

as for vehicle software being kept track of, (ratting on its driver) most modern vehicles that I’m aware of, have the capability of doing this. I remember taking a GM course on the Tech II when it came out having the ability to not only read codes, diagnose and communicate bi directionally with the cars on board computer but read vehicle history files “incidents” from the first occurrence to present day, this was back in the 90’s the software could even tell us how many times a trouble code has set and been cleared, maximum rpm, what road speed was, what wheel speed was etc. similar I think to aviation FDR info.

Chrysler had/ has a similar thing up to when I left the industry in early 2014….Ford? Couldn’t keep ‘em running long enough to have a problem, “check engine” light was to tell the operator the engine was running….:)

I think they have probably kept data on what the vehicle was doing in case of an accident since OBDII was implemented in 1997. They couldn't rat you out in real time until cars connected to the internet. I think this was sometime after 2012. Now, with cars that use drive-by-wire for the throttle and steering, with internet connectivity, not only can they rat you out, they can brick the vehicle. There have been reports of the car makers taking all the data off your phone as soon as you connect it to the car's Bluetooth as well.

There are even some conspiracy theories that drive-by-war cars have been hacked to kill people!   You know what the kids say about conspiracy theories these days? They are just spoiler alerts.  :coolio: