Building the Border 1/35 Kate. Got paint!

quang

Guys and gals,

This morning the friendly postman brought me these two parcels coming from opposing ends of the world.

IMG-4861.jpg

The first one is the infamous and wrongly-scaled Border Kate. The other contains some AK paints from their Imperial Japanese Navy line.

That the two orders arrived simultaneously is what I consider a good omen.;)
IMG-4865.jpg

Please give me a few hours (days?) to regain my composure. I’ll get back to you with more details.

In the mean time here are some quick shots for your appreciation.

IMG-4868.jpg

IMG-4869.jpg

All the best,,

Quang

Edited by quang

Great Dennis. The more the merrier.:P

I’m currently giving a fine coat of primer over all the sprues like I usually do before removing the parts. So far everything’s perfectly moulded: no missing parts, no distortion, no short shot and also no … flash. :rolleyes: . The beat goes on!

Cheers,

Quang

46 minutes ago, mozart said:

unfortunately Japanese aircraft hold no interest for me

Neither did they for me, Max until I read a few accounts about the Kate and torpedo planes in general, their design, purposes and the men who manned them.
The tragedy of my life is that everything can hold an interest to me if I spend enough time to concentrate on it. I know, I know, curiosity killed the cat :rolleyes:

With the Kate being a favorite aircraft of mine I am very interested in this project though the 1/35 scale has me scratching my head.  Are we expected to park a finished 1/35 Kate next to a 1/35 Panzer Tiger?

No disrespect intended.

As far as I can get over the scandal that is you building in the wrong scale again, I‘ll follow with great interest. I am waiting patiently for my Kate since december 8th when I was informed by the seller that delivery should take place „at the end of december/beginning of January“. I am in fact for long interested in Japanese and US naval aviation, especially until 1942 and the Battle of Midway, so the Kate was very high on my list since I built the Hasegawa 1:48 kit of it. Again I seem to be more the kit collector than model builder (retirement will come one day…!), so following your build will be some sort of replacement for building mine immediately.

Edited by Borsos
Obligatory typos

3 hours ago, amurray said:

Are we expected to park a finished 1/35 Kate next to a 1/35 Panzer Tiger?

Hopefully I don’t have such issues. Each time one of my models is finished, it ends up in a cardboard box and doesn’t necessarily know who its neighbours are.

34 minutes ago, Borsos said:

As far as I can get over the scandal that is you building in the wrong scale again,

I admit I’m a repeat offender and a proud member of the CSI (Crypto Scale Iconoclasts).

Soo, say you… what are my impressions 48 hours on?

A LONG SIGH OF RELIEF… the Border kit lives completely up to my expectations.

It looks as good as the earlier FW-190A-6 which I built last year. The box is crammed with no less than nine plastic sprues, a small PE fret, a 20-page instruction booklet and an adequately printed decal sheet for 2 planes from the carrier Akagi during the Pearl Harbor raid + assorted numbers to make a variety of other planes from the same carrier. Should Border add just 2 more letters: E and I to the A included in the decals, it would have covered ALL the Kates participating on the historical campaign. Talk of a missed opportunity :BANGHEAD2:

Great quality plastic to my liking, not too hard, not too soft, no wandering loose part in the box. Moulding is crisp and neat with precise, delicate yet not excessively fragile detail.
As usual I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

Primed and waiting

IMG-4889.jpg

Surface texture. Note commendably delicate skin wrinkling.
IMG-4914.jpg

IMG-4915.jpg

NOT so delicate… but who am I to say? We’ll see further on.
IMG-4918.jpg

Extensive and spectacular wing roots
IMG-4919.jpg

Note the rivets on the very border of the fuselage. A technical tour-de-force!
IMG-4923.jpg

Ready for the paint brush
IMG-4926.jpg

Note the lamp on top of the IP
IMG-4924.jpg

Details on the cockpit sidewalls
IMG-4925.jpg

Lewis style MG…

IMG-4929.jpg

… and magazines
IMG-4928.jpg

2 type wheels, weighted and un-weighted
IMG-4931.jpg

2 types of armament: type91 torpedo and 800 kg armor-piercing bomb.

IMG-4932.jpg

The Border kit at present status. Note fuselage with separate decking.
IMG-4935.jpg

As you can see, the build has started. 

Comments and questions are appreciated.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

• quang changed the title to Building the 1/35 Border B5N2 Kate

That's a very clever breakdown of the fuselage, shouldn't produce any unwanted seam lines. Anyway, I love your DVD stash Quang, just recently I required a dedicated DVD to start my own collection. Don't ask me why. LOL

@Martinnfb Dedicated DVD? Which one? Why?

I stopped buying DVD some years ago when they put movies on streaming. Still I miss the collector booklets and the limited edition holographic picture cases. B)

Just a regular Sony DVD player. We also went full on-line ,streaming everything. Everything is virtual nowadays and I suddenly felt the need to hold the dvd case in my hands and check out the special features, you know the old years, when we had a movie night that started shuffling between the discs. :)