What does modelling do for you?

mozart

7 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

What I am not is a “rivet counter” that the last minute detail must be accurate 100%.  Some minor shape issues don’t bother me.  I will say though that the Trumpeter A-7 kits would have never been on my build list as bad as the intake and canopy are.  I actually bought the Zacto Models correction kits before I bought the D and E kits. 
I don’t know all the details between all the blocks of F-16’s.  I’m slowly picking up the minute details between all the Phantoms.  I’m more critical of myself on things like accurate colors and finishes.  
I also don’t build for competitions either.   But I love looking at builds like this.  My ADHD just wouldn’t let me dig that deep into a build. 

Hey, you just described my mindset too.  Minor shape issues only bother me if they make the finished article look wrong, and fail to capture the character.  I do get picky about Spitfires and Mustangs, but even then, so long as the model captures the essence, that's fine.

3 hours ago, Grunticus said:

It's the same for me as most. I forget all the stress I feel from life / work things when at the bench. I always have an 80s radiostation playing when modelling and feel absolutely liberated from whatever burdons me. It recharges my batteries.

Exactly the same for me! This puts my brain on another frequency! I discussed this with my wife who gave me a scientific explanation. Actually when doing some modelling activities we are commonly putting ourselves in hypnosis mode. And THIS is why we are disconnecting from the regular tensions.

9 minutes ago, mozart said:

i can fall asleep at any point, any where!  I'm anti-awake.

I know the feeling - I love sleeping. I must have been a bear in a previous life - I could sleep twelve hours a day if left to my own devices. 'But you're sleeping your life away!' 'Yeah, but I don't have to pay bills when I'm asleep!'

Regards,

Jason

Actually when you are in hypnosis mode, you are hopefully not asleep. You are just in a different state of conscience. Hopefully, as I don't want to think what could be done with a scalpel or airbrush if we were not really conscient...:frantic:

Well, I'm seldom asleep when I work on my model aeroplanes, although some may look like it.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. It occurs to me that there is a distinct disconnect between my predilection for sleep and my signature. But my signature is just a great quote (and song) from my favourite musician, the late, great Mr. Warren Zevon.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.

I do enjoy this type of conversation as it shows us a common character among us.

A predominant trait we share is a desire for perfection. An appreciation for precision. I may never achieve it but always striving for it. 

Is it our competitive ego that drives us to excell? Yes I think so to varying degrees. All of man's accomplishments are born from the need to excell.

Add to that an appreciation of beauty and here we are, among other things; modelers. So keep on counting those rivets and matching the color of mud on the tires etc etc.

And as always, happy modeling 

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

But my signature is just a great quote (and song) from my favourite musician, the late, great Mr. Warren Zevon.

Can I just say here that I worked in London for six years, have often visited at other times, and have never seen a werewolf  ...

... as far as I know:hmmm:

On 1/7/2024 at 10:37 AM, quang said:

But I carried in my mind this image of the Revell 1958 catalogue all my life. I fancied myself as the F-102 pilot or the spaceman. The others never mattered.:rolleyes:

IMG-4720.jpg

For what it's worth, the boy in the space suit, eventually ended up in many TV shows.

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

Can I just say here that I worked in London for six years, have often visited at other times, and have never seen a werewolf  ...

... as far as I know:hmmm:

But did you ever see a man whose hair was perfect?