F104 G Starfighter USAF

22 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Could the misalignment be attributed to height adjustment of the seat?

Either the seat should go up a bit, or the pilot figure should go down a bit. :) But as they are molded as a single piece - when I move the seat up - the helmet of the pilot sticks too much and the canopy can't close. The misalignment is 3-4 mm., which is quite noticeable.

50 minutes ago, F`s are my favs said:

Either the seat should go up a bit, or the pilot figure should go down a bit. :) But as they are molded as a single piece - when I move the seat up - the helmet of the pilot sticks too much and the canopy can't close. The misalignment is 3-4 mm., which is quite noticeable.

Yes, I understand. 

I was thinking more of the full sized item from your reference. 

The height of the real seat may be adjusted to a lower perspective than the one modelled for the 1/32nd scale version. Perhaps the real pilot was short and the scale pilot is tall?

Could that be an explanation and allow you to leave the part untouched?:hmmm:

Edited by geedubelyer

a-ha, got it now. ;) Hm, I don't know if the height of an ejection seat is adjustable, even on modern seats. All the pics I come across about this topic are all the same - they all show the headrest (at least) in the exact same position in regard to the ''6-ribbed parts from the rear bulkhead''.

Btw here is what bothers me - when looked from a distance, check out how beautifully aligned everything is, from the HUD and the front cowling to the canopy locking mechanism, and everything looks at an equal distance/a couple of inches from the canopy.

1111.jpg

I see this is the MB seat, plus the round ejection handles contribute to ''busy'' that area even more. There will be a decently large ''empty space'' if I leave it like that - here with the blue circle...

20240102-1418262.jpg

This makes me think that the MB seat is a better choice, especially with the big round handles on the top, and the headrest itself is ever so slightly bulkier that the Lockheed seat. In combination with the PE belts, I think it will get very close to the resin seat in terms of details. And I will detail/jazz it up additionally.

Just a quick up - it went well. :) I'm gonna use the MB seat from the kit, with quite some mods/improvements, while the Lockheed seat separated decently well, and stayed in one piece. I'll keep it as a spare part, no idea for what model. So, on to the next page - here is the fit I'm happy with:

20240104-114138.jpg

The seat is heavily modified and not ready yet. It needs wires, pistons... but first - instrument panels and 3D decals. 

20240104-114410.jpg

20240104-114451.jpg

On 1/3/2024 at 11:22 AM, F`s are my favs said:

I don't know if the height of an ejection seat is adjustable, even on modern seats.

I have 2 kits of the F-104 so looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.  :)

As for your question, yes they are but I suspect your surgery will be more appropriate anyway.

10x for the tip, Oldbaldguy. I already have some good high-res pics of the MB seat, yet I'll check out the website for sure.

Richie, the ''new'' seat is just perfect now... the main colors are on, now it's all about detailing, decals, and final touches.

Also, the IPs and the cockpit tub are ready and... what to say... :) this Thing is gorgeous on so many levels... 

20240106-141942.jpg

20240106-142047.jpg

20240106-142154.jpg

I can't believe they even included (on the left-hand side) an ''image'' with the white contours of the plane and the loadout selection with something that really appears like green lights... About the radar screen - unitially I thought the white particles are dust that can easily be removed, but it's actually pattern imitation. :) This 3D decal thing is wicked evil! Still, there are a few other items to include like levers and switches, but I'll do it when it is more safe, later in the build.

The seat - firstly, black, then the main colors, + gloss:

20240106-104926.jpg

20240106-141726.jpg

Then decals, and the other colors; then, satin + weathering ever so slightly. I know I couldn't do the yellow/black pattern of the ejection handles justly, but these are very very closeup images as well. And I think it is ready.

20240107-122225.jpg

20240107-122255.jpg

20240107-122209.jpg

Here a quick testfit... 

20240107-121932.jpg

20240107-121817.jpg

20240107-121852.jpg

I might not use the PE belts, as I managed to separate the figure from very low and they stayed almost intact. Not sure yet... but the cockpit is just about ready. 

I think you've settled on a good choice of subject for your -104. For those pesky Face curtain handle colors, suggest you

just paint the yellow, then wrap both loops with black decal stripes. Most any decal sheet has them for demarcation.

I'm waiting to see how the Reskit exhaust set fits... not finding any installation reviews when they have a bounty of products.

Thanks much for the idea! Sure I'm gonna try this decal method, I even think I have the perfect decal stripes. Btw I found a video and gave this method a go - with the twisted painted threads. :) It's more difficult though... the results are not satisfactory. I might prioritize the decal stripes...