*** 1/32 Kotare Spitfire Mk.Ia "Brian Lane" COMPLETE ***

Hoss FL

Well, I'm back to 1/32 after a few armor projects and several 1/48 kits. I picked this kit up this summer and am really looking forward to the build. 

rFggxZM.jpg

The plan is to build it completely out of the box with no aftermarket and I think the kit has all the detail needed for an excellent rendition of this bird. 

eqNMj3n.jpg

This is the one marking option, but the subject is very well researched. The instructions are very detailed with photos and historical tidbits. A fun build experience so far. 

I just got started on the cockpit and will post updates along the way. 

Edited by Hoss FL
Complete

You won't be disappointed with this kit. I built the Mid boxing a few months back and am currently building the Brian Lane boxing too, just about to sit down and start applying decals. I have posted the first part of the build on YouTube if you are interested.

14 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Great choice! I’d be curious to see your take on whether the spinner was actually white not yellow.

Cheers,  Tom

I've gone with a yellow spinner. :)

Thanks for all the comments. I'm really enjoying the build so far. The spinner color is definitely intriguing based on the photos. Hmm. 

As for progress, I've completed most of the main and detail painting in the cockpit. 

HdiZAQe.jpg

I followed the painting guide pretty closely using Tamiya and Mr. Color paints. 

EK5Xyen.jpg

The base color is a mix of C364 Cockpit gray-green and C319 light green, which is supposed to be "Supermarine Green" or the "apple green" shade. 

vZQipP6.jpg

I applied some highlights to the raised areas using a lighter mix of the same color. 

2mqCe7S.jpg

I like the color scheme in the painting guide, which provides nice variation across the different colors. The center panel of the IP is XF-1 flat black and the outer portion is XF 85 rubber black. 

5wDR9hz.jpg

The armor plating and seat frame (not shown in this photo) is C364 straight from the bottle. The headrest is nato black. 

jioaouO.jpg

The voltage regulator is rubber black. 

l8fGSWG.jpg

I'm using the molded seatbelt option and think it will look OK. I thinned the portion of the belts that extend above the seat into the slot on the armor plate so they are more in scale. Based on the photos, I have a little clean up to do. Tamiya buff for the seat belts, X31 and X34 mix for the brass hardware, XF85 rubber black for seats, XF69 nato black for the padding on the seat. 

hOjGvGx.jpg

The cockpit floor is nicely detailed. 

ZyH0BlK.jpg

The control column and rudder pedals have excellent detail. 

JUtEjxn.jpg

I'm really happy with the kit so far. Next step is gloss coat and then decals, followed by a wash and some weathering. 

Thanks for looking.

That is a great start to the cockpit! I like the Kotare color choices as well, and the instructions are really helpful with this. I used the molded belts as well and used a dark wash to make the details pop and make them appear separate from the seat. I’m looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Happy Holidays,  Tom

19-SQUADRON-Ib.jpg19 squadron were known for painting spinners white - there are pics of "b" winged cannon-armed aircraft issued in july 1940 that had the spinner painted white, so were that so on P9386 it would not be without precedent. However this aircraft had come from a training unit where yellow was the common colour in such units.

Edited by 19squadron
addition of pic