Concorde

It seems incredible that the very last Concorde to roll off the production line took its final flight 20 years ago today.

Not only was this the last flight of G-BOAF, it was also the last time a Concorde would take to the skies.                          

Alpha Foxtrot left Heathrow on November 26th, 2003, with around 100 British Airways staff onboard.

The aircraft headed out over the Bay of Biscay before descending towards Bristol. Here, she performed a lap of honour over the city and neighbouring districts, including Clifton Suspension Bridge, before landing at Filton.     

What a day! 

kind regards

Paul

Now I really do feel old.  Saw one at Colorado Springs when they were trying to see if it would work better there than at Denver, later watched them land at Dulles and was lucky enough to tour one at Oshkosh.  What a lovely airplane and just small enough inside to be cozy.  Absolutely loved the cockpit - more Formula car than airliner.  I wonder how many still exist.

19 hours ago, Archimedes said:

It seems incredible that the very last Concorde to roll off the production line took its final flight 20 years ago today.

Not only was this the last flight of G-BOAF, it was also the last time a Concorde would take to the skies.                          

Alpha Foxtrot left Heathrow on November 26th, 2003, with around 100 British Airways staff onboard.

The aircraft headed out over the Bay of Biscay before descending towards Bristol. Here, she performed a lap of honour over the city and neighbouring districts, including Clifton Suspension Bridge, before landing at Filton.     

What a day! 

kind regards

Paul

My office at the time overlooked the final approach to Filton,  and along with many others I was privileged to watch the final final approach,  missing only the final touchdown owing to buildings in the way. Not a dry eye in the house!

53 minutes ago, MikeC said:

My office at the time overlooked the final approach to Filton,  and along with many others I was privileged to watch the final final approach,  missing only the final touchdown owing to buildings in the way. Not a dry eye in the house!

It was the same for the last flight of Vulcan  XH558. If you wanted to see a huge number of middle aged blokes in tears October 28th 2015cwas the date…

kind regards

Paul

I got to tour one at Dulles in the mid 80s. Concorde was a flying work of art. A few years later, also at Dulles, I got to follow G-BOAG to the runway. I was in a Beech Baron and had my front seat passenger pop the door open so we could get the full effect when it took off. Loud doesn’t even begin to describe it! It was glorious!

fb1BYNj.jpg

Ben

Many years ago my best friend accepted a courier run from Heathrow to Johannesburg with SAA. The day of her flight, in the early hours, she was offered a courier run by Concord to New York later that day with BA. She declined the offer, pleading a prior engagement through tightly clenched teeth.

Of course God has a sense of humour!

On 11/27/2023 at 1:25 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Now I really do feel old.  Saw one at Colorado Springs when they were trying to see if it would work better there than at Denver, later watched them land at Dulles and was lucky enough to tour one at Oshkosh.  What a lovely airplane and just small enough inside to be cozy.  Absolutely loved the cockpit - more Formula car than airliner.  I wonder how many still exist.

All of them

On 11/27/2023 at 5:25 AM, Oldbaldguy said:

I wonder how many still exist.

I like the comment above "All of them"  ... but I have had a chance to see three, two of which I got inside. Here are a few pics of different parts of the plane -- there was mention of the cockpit being "F-1"-ish and how snug the interior was. I look forward to photographing at least a couple more. I wish I had been agressive about getting to see one at Dulles when we lived in Fairfax VA in the early '80s. If the timing was right, we used to see them overhead a couple times a day... but I never got a chance to a closer look at one on the ground (until visiting the Udvar-Hazy that is). The Museum of Flight is about 25 miles north of me and I have a membership there... but the Concorde is just one of hundreds of amazing planes vying for my attention when I go.

Concorde SST 101 G-AXDN “Miss Moses Lake”

IWM Duxford

Concorde-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-19-7029.jpg

-

Concorde-IWM-Duxford-2008-02-19-7030.jpg

Concorde SST 205 F-BVFA
NASM Udvar-Hazy

Concorde-Udvar-Hazy-2015-10-22-2539.jpg

-

Concorde-Udvar-Hazy-2015-10-22-2547.jpg

-

Concorde-Udvar-Hazy-2015-10-22-2548.jpg

Concorde SST 214 G-BOAG
Museum of Flight

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9650.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9656.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2016-10-07-4307.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2016-10-07-4301.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9664.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2016-10-07-4309.jpg

-

Concorde-MoF-2023-08-05-9655.jpg

Those 20 years  went by in a flash , but what really gets me is being able to remember both the first flights in 1969 , first the French then the UK prototypes , both described in loving detail by the late lamented Raymond Baxter 

Dear God I'm old !

Seeing  Concorde coming in to land at Heathrow right over me, whilst stuck in a traffic jam on the M25, was a thrill I experienced at least 3 or 4 times.. Amazing aircraft, and it's so sad it is no longer operated.

I've been lucky enough to go inside both the one at Duxford and the one at Yeovilton.

Here's Mrs Shoggz climing into the the one at Yeovilton just a few weeks ago.

53366479124_f4b9217f32_b.jpg

They are rebuilding a Fairey Barracuda 'in real time' in the open where the public can see it. I took a picture and got a big chunk of Concorde in inadvertently!

53366163316_58b3dcb5f2_b.jpg