Lukgraph 1/24 kits up for pre-order

JWS

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Bill Cross said:

Wait, wait, why aren't all you 32-scale zealots melting down about THIS announcement the way you did over the 1/35 Kate?

After all, these kits are going to be even MORE ridiculous next to your other builds.

Just sayin'.

:innocent: :rolleyes: :P :evil_laugh:

Well, maybe:

1. they are also doing these kits in 1/32 so one has a choice?

2. 1/24 has kind of been out there for a long time as a scale for aviation subjects?

3. 1/24 feels like a logical step up for those who want to build EVEN MORE BIGGER :)

:innocent: :rolleyes: :P :evil_laugh:

To be clear, I think the squabbles over scale are a tempest in a teapot, and we should all just relax and enjoy our hobby.

But some of y'all do care deeply about this matter, and I found it amusing how the Kate thread goes on and on and on and on, while this announcement barely caused a ripple and no kerfuffle. Just sayin'.

Edited by Bill Cross

On 10/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, thierry laurent said:

This is probably linked to the fact 1/24 is a large plane scale for more or less half-a-century! 1/35 is in a very different league in such a regard.

When you look at where things have gone, 1/35 would have been a better choice for airplanes than 1/35.  I suspect if Tamiya had decided to stay scale consistent when they did their Tomcat, we would never have gone down the 1/32 road, yes there were a few out there already just like there are some 1/16 and 1/18 scale model cars out there but those are basically dead scales in plastic modeling at least as car kits go, now we see a surge in armor but that is kind of a newer thing.  In any event a 1/24 DIII sounds interesting.

Hi Bill, to answer your thought, in my particular situation, I have an extensive collection/stash of WW1 and 'tweeners in 1/32. Therefore I am not going to switch scales in mid stream as it were. Yes, 1/24 is a nice scale for WW1, being a manageable size and excellent for detail, but then so is 1/32. So.... as I already have a history with 1/32, I will stay with that. But for those looking, go for it! I see no downside to the larger scale :thumbsup:

And I also agree with Cbk, 1/35 should have been the original scale choice way back when, so as to tie in with the armour crowd. It would have been WAY more sensible. ( OR! the armour crowd could have changed to 1/32. ) But, they did not, so here we are today. Sorry, but the powers-that-be  did not ask me at the time. 

(lol, considering I was only 3 or 4 at the time :rofl: )

Edited by europapete
added text

1/32 was an established model scale for aircraft before 1/35 came along for armour.

The only reason 1/35 exists is because of Tamiya, and their initial armour kit (the Panther). The size of the Panther kit was purely down to the need to install batteries and an electric motor inside the chassis, and the rest of the kit was scaled around them. When the kit proved popular, Tamiya measured the Panther and it came out as close to 1/35th scale - so they used that for all other armour kits they wanted to produce.

So, if anything, it should have been the armour boys who bit the the bullet and switched to 1/32...

Edited by vince14