P-47D Thunderbolt 1/32 - Gabby Gabreski RFI

DugyB

While holding my breath my curiosity got the better of me, here’s a size comparison to the P-51, the 47 is a bit of a monster fighter, pretty cool me thinks. …..started the P-51 over four years ago, I’ve been stuck in neutral with it ….. perhaps after this GB :whistle:

53356697894_18779b5e79_b.jpg

Milestone reached with the wings finally glued on, only have a couple of small areas requiring putty. The tape on the cowl is just me trying to figure out the how much red needs to be painted.  My normal painting sequence is a bit all over as I’ll use enamel silver aluminium for the bottom then acrylics for everything else. And as it’ll all be masking for the stars and codes I’m a bit confused on where to start :hmmm:

53363649303_32b25ec9d2_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Juggernut said:

For 56th FG aircraft, the red nose band, in most cases, is 24 inches (609.6 mm) wide. In 1/32, that's 0.75 inches (19.05 mm).

Cool, let’s see if I can get close to that…. Thanks matey… 

5 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

wsHcBIW.png

Thanks Mike, such a cool pic, I too found that last night while searching him.  It does appear to be pretty wide …nearly half of the cowling on the lower side. Also noticed the filthy appearance of the white of the invasion stripes. Cheers…

ARGH… Thank you Hasegawa ….. @#*@*#% ….their gunsight doesn’t look like either one is the correct version, at least by close examination of the pics of Gabreski’s aircraft… his sorta looks look this model which is only close to the kit part….time to start scratch’n  :mellow:

53372450674_c945a2b7be_c.jpg

Just read through your build thread Dugy, fascinating build with some excellent extra detailing. I particularly like the way you’ve used thin plastic rod on your cockpit side walls and on your engine, so tell me how you get such precise bends to the rod please! :D

3 hours ago, mozart said:

Just read through your build thread Dugy, fascinating build with some excellent extra detailing. I particularly like the way you’ve used thin plastic rod on your cockpit side walls and on your engine, so tell me how you get such precise bends to the rod please! :D

Hey, thanks for browsing, I use the Evergreen rod in the smaller sizes, usually I bend then with my fingers, or a soft round tool, paintbrush, toothpick etc. any tight bends require care as not to over bend the rod to the point where they break. I was a trained aviation electrician with the Coast Guard and the one look which makes me cringe is the twisted wire bundle look. So I recon a individual wire wouldn’t be noticeable in a 1/32 wire bundle, hence it’s why I just use straight rod in bends to simulate the complete wire bundle runs.  

Edited by DugyB

Back on the mend and in the cockpit after another bout / round of Covid, and Tamiya to the rescue. I used my spare gunsight from the P-51, cut off the Hasegawa sight and glued the Tamiya on after adding a few bits. Only need to add the power cable after I get it weathered and installed….phew…:)

53382038445_0f412db9d3_b.jpg

53380679412_133d4cbd23_b.jpg