Border 1/35 Fw 190A-6 Nowotny Double Chevron

Thunnus

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!  I've not forgotten about this one!  I took the trouble of giving her a salt weathering treatment and got absolutely no visible results!  That knocked my enthusiasm back a bit.

On the flip side, I've begun to attach the smaller bits and pieces including the wing gun barrels and landing gear. I fashioned the inner door retraction struts from the leftover PE fret from the model.  I think they were intended to help pose the engine cowlings open.
IMG-5615.jpg

IMG-5616.jpg

The small spring lever for the main landing gear was added last, after the main components were cured in place. The fit is very good and even features a very small locating hole in the gear well to help placement.
IMG-5617.jpg

IMG-5618.jpg

You can also see some of the post-shading that I've done on the bottom.  My normal super-thin brown/black mixes sprayed along the panel lines and streaked randomly.

15 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

I took the trouble of giving her a salt weathering treatment and got absolutely no visible results!  

Hi John, I really feel like this is not an exact science and once we finish and remove the salt we always have a surprise…
It remains to be seen whether this is a good or bad surprise.
I will really have to start, at least on a mule to test this method. 
Once the salt has been applied and the model is completely dry, then we spray a lighter shade than the paint already in place and very diluted?
Is that the basic principle?

Edited by Furie

20 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks guys!  I've not forgotten about this one!  I took the trouble of giving her a salt weathering treatment and got absolutely no visible results!  That knocked my enthusiasm back a bit.

On the flip side, I've begun to attach the smaller bits and pieces including the wing gun barrels and landing gear. I fashioned the inner door retraction struts from the leftover PE fret from the model.  I think they were intended to help pose the engine cowlings open.
IMG-5615.jpg

IMG-5616.jpg

The small spring lever for the main landing gear was added last, after the main components were cured in place. The fit is very good and even features a very small locating hole in the gear well to help placement.
IMG-5617.jpg

IMG-5618.jpg

You can also see some of the post-shading that I've done on the bottom.  My normal super-thin brown/black mixes sprayed along the panel lines and streaked randomly.

Great looking wheel wells, and a splendid job on those inner gear doors, perfect.

Happy to see you back on this one John.

Quick question though, how thin is your brown/black mix for shading? I keep trying it on my builds, and I can't seem to get it correct. It might just be that I'm not thinning it enough or spraying it at the wrong pressure.

Matt 

3 hours ago, Furie said:

Hi John, I really feel like this is not an exact science and once we finish and remove the salt we always have a surprise…
It remains to be seen whether this is a good or bad surprise.
I will really have to start, at least on a mule to test this method. 
Once the salt has been applied and the model is completely dry, then we spray a lighter shade than the paint already in place and very diluted?
Is that the basic principle?

Yes, I've always have trouble dialing in the effect of the salt weathering step.  Since I prefer a more subtle effect, the line between visible and not visible is always super thin but due to the effort involved, I'm not feeling motivated to do a second round. And yes, you are correct on the basic principle, a lighter shade (highly diluted) is sprayed onto the model after the salt has dried.

3 hours ago, williamj said:

Great looking wheel wells, and a splendid job on those inner gear doors, perfect.

Thank you!  The inner doors are not 100% correct but I was more concerned with getting an acceptable look and moving on with the build.

3 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Happy to see you back on this one John.

Quick question though, how thin is your brown/black mix for shading? I keep trying it on my builds, and I can't seem to get it correct. It might just be that I'm not thinning it enough or spraying it at the wrong pressure.

Matt 

Thank you Matt!  I'm thinning the brown/black at about 10:1 thinner:paint ratio.  And make sure you're not getting any splatter.

• 4 weeks later...