***Finished*** 1/32 Revell (ex Dragon) Bf 110G-2 with AIMS conversion

Tolga ULGUR

57 minutes ago, fab said:

Hello

To my knowledge, no mk108 in the fuselage, only mg151/20

Fab

Hi

As a matter of fact I am not an expert of these guns. 

Fuselage weapons were not available in my G2 set. So I borrowed the ones from my G4 set. As far as I know, the G4 also has the MG 151.
Still, if it's wrong, I don't worry too much because when the model is finished, none of them will be seen.
Thanks for the warning though.

2032-37.jpg

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2032

GUNS.jpg

Edited by Tolga ULGUR

1 hour ago, fab said:

Hello

To my knowledge, no mk108 in the fuselage, only mg151/20

Fab

Definitely twin 108's in the G series Fab and for certain John when bringing his conversion set together wouldnt have made such an error. Tolga they are definitely worth spending a bit of time on them as you can see when complete 

20180302_135050.jpg

It's a G-4 but the same will be seen.

Regards. Andy 

Mk108 in the G-4 conversion is for R3 mod - twin Mk108 up in the nose. This was widely used by G-4 night fighters but very rare for day fighters. Mk108 had low muzzle velocity (it was more like automatic granade launcher than canon) and required to get to close range to the target which was very dangerous for slow Bf-110 in day time. For the Bf-110G only option for belly weapons is twin MG 151/20 or nothing (guns were removed in G-2/R1 or in some G-4s in order to save weight).

Hello

No worry, but only have a look to John's notice, they are twin 20mm...no 30

Carefull, you can see them from above

(I am discovering that the Aims upgrade set give the details for the nose, it's a pity that i have not bought this AM!)

Fab

Yes, I know the explanations of AIMS. I do not have the knowledge to distinguish the bodies of the MK 108 and MG 151s. And as I mentioned earlier, I used the parts from the G4 set. And the same parts (MG151) are shown in AIMS's both G4 and G2 build manual. If the resin parts in the G4 set are not MG 151, I cannot comment on this.

Here is G4 manuel from AIMS set (same as on G2 set)

Sunu1.jpg

And these are the related parts from G4 set

2032-37.jpg

As a result , I continue this way. Thanks for the explanations

16 minutes ago, Pavel M said:

AIMS G-4 set has both Mk108 and MG151 in it… Mk108 is for nose for Bf-110G-4/R3 and MG151 is for belly. On your picture is Mk108, MG151 body looks like this: 2031-5.jpg

Oh now it's clear. I bought the G4 set years ago. I think this piece has been lost or hidden somewhere during this time.
Thanks for clarification Pavel

Great! This one is on my to-do list too. Started a conversion years ago with the long OOP other-than-AIMS G4 nightfighter conversion set, but stalled due to heavy warping issues of the conversion parts. Now I have the AIMS set in the stash to give the build a try another day.

Watching with interest!

Happy modelling!

- dutik

58 minutes ago, dutik said:

Great! This one is on my to-do list too. Started a conversion years ago with the long OOP other-than-AIMS G4 nightfighter conversion set, but stalled due to heavy warping issues of the conversion parts. Now I have the AIMS set in the stash to give the build a try another day.

Watching with interest!

Happy modelling!

- dutik

Thanks Dutik