1:32nd scale Hansa-Brandenburg W12

sandbagger

Hi all,
As I've suspended the build of the Phonix C.I, I thought I'd started an easier build.
The 'Wingnut Wings' model of the Hansa-Brandenburg W12, Serial No.1184 (C3MG) as flown by Fl.Mt. Urban and Lt. Ehrhardt of C-Staffel, Zeebrugge, during December 1917.
This aircraft was part of a three aircraft patrol that shot down the British Naval airship C27, killing all five of the crew,

Mike

header.jpg

1184.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
The engine is complete apart from adding control rods once the engine is fitted into the fuselage.
I've added a few changes to the kit supplied engine:
Nickel-Silver push rods of 0.4 mm diameter.
Rear coolant pipe from 0.5 mm diameter lead wire.
Fuel filter pipes from 0.3 mm diameter copper wire.
Throttle control return spring from 0.125 mm diameter copper wire.
Ignition lead support tubes from shaped Brass tube.
Ignition leads from 'EZ' black line (Fine).
Fuel priming levers from 0.2 and 0.4 mm diameter Brass tube and Nickel-Silver rod.
Crankcase vent ports from 'RB Productions' photo-etch grill. 

Mike

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
The fuselage is ready to be closed up.
I've carried out a few enhancements to the cockpit:

Rudder control pulleys drilled and control cables added (0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and blackened 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube).
Elevator control levers drilled and control cables added (0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and blackened 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube).
Aileron control cables (photo-etch) replaced with 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and 'Proper Plane' resin turnbuckles.
Observers seat and map shelf side stays added from blackened 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube.
Lead wire 0.4 mm diameter added for the fuel tank hand pressurizing pump.
Copper wire 0.125 mm diameter wrapped around the pilot control wheel to represent hand grip.
Nickel-silver 0.4 mm diameter tube used for the throttle quadrant to engine carburetor control rod.

Mike

fus9.jpg

fus10.jpg

fus11.jpg

fus12.jpg

fus13.jpg

Hi all,
I've replaced the kit supplied Spandau and Parabellum machine guns with modified 'Gaspatch' weapons.
The fuselage and other parts were primed then airbrushed with 'Tamiya' Grey (XF53).
The wings, ailerons and elevator were primed white and pre-shaded with 'Tamiya' Smoke (X19) prior to decal application (Aviattic),

Mike

guns5.jpg

guns6.jpg

fus16.jpg

preshade1.jpg

preshade2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The fuselage was mottled with two slightly different shades of grey to give a weathered look to the wood surface.
The kit decals were replaced with 'Aviattic' decals as being more representative of the Lozenge colours.
The darker lozenge was decal over a grey base coat, to represent the darker linen effect over wood surfaces and upper wing auxiliary fuel tank.
The lighter linen shade was over white base coat.
The direction of the lozenge on the ailerons and elevator are different to the rest of the aircraft lozenge, as on the actual aircraft.

Still more detail painting and subsequent weathering to be done before assembly,

Mike

dec1.jpg

dec2.jpg

dec3.jpg

dec4.jpg

dec5.jpg

11 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Very nice Mike, How did you get the Aviattic decals to conform to all of the details on the floats? Ice got one of these in the stash and would love to know how best to do it? 

Regards. Andy 

Hi Andy,

Tricky but it can be done.

I cut a single rectangle of the decal that was slightly larger than the top of the floats.

This was cut in half to make it easier to apply.

Each section was applied over the float and then I used a damp cotton bud to conform the decal over and into the raised 'runners' along the float.

Then gradually worked outwards to the float edges.

The only problem areas were the four raised runners on each side (front and rear) of the floats.

I had to slice the decal between the runners in order to conform the decal over them.

This does leave spaces between the decal slices but the runners will be painted over anyway.

I made sure any over lap of decal at the float edges did not adhere to the sides of the floats, only on the top edge rim along the floats.

Once set, any lifting of the decal was pierced and MicroSol applied.

Any stubborn areas were given a light brushing with Tamiya X20A thinners (too much applied will melt the decal.

Lastly I ran a curved blade along the underside of the top edge rims to remove excess decal, leaving it adhered only onto the rim edges.

Mike 

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
The basic fuselage and lower wings assembled.
The two 'Spandau' machine guns and associated kit parts were replaced with slightly modified 'Gaspatch' weapons.
Still a lot of detail and weathering to do before full construction can start,

Mike

guns8.jpg

guns9.jpg

fus17.jpg

• 3 weeks later...