Infinity Models 1/32 Aichi D3A1 Type 99

Thunnus

Thanks guys!

On 7/12/2023 at 12:38 AM, MikeMaben said:

I think that longer panel / hatch is an access panel. Blew up the pic and those look like screws rather than rivets.

Doesn't make any difference but that's likely why it's raised above the surrounding surface.

Progress looking super John.

Thanks Mike!  Screws makes sense since I'm guessing these are access panels for the cowl guns?  And raised because one panel is used to cover two openings?  

I was able to secure a copy of this out-of-print book for a real good price ($20 shipped) from the Arawasi blog site so I'm taking my time on things until it gets here.
s-l1600.jpg

The wheels have been painted and weathered.
IMG-4706.jpg

But only a sliver of them will be visible once they are mounted within the wheel spats.
IMG-4707.jpg

IMG-4708.jpg

When gluing the spats together, I left the wheels rotatable so that I can orient the flat spots on the tires later.  The prominent glue seam will get sanded and puttied.
IMG-4710.jpg

In order to get a more positive fit onto the wing bottoms, I added some mounting posts for the landing gear legs.  This is taking a page from Alex's build but in a slightly different form.
IMG-4715.jpg

IMG-4716.jpg

I heeded Alex's warning about the thickness of the control surface parts and decided to thin them before gluing them together.  For this, I use a section of sanding paper taped onto a sheet of glass (from a photo frame).  For this type of work, I use a coarser grain of sandpaper than I normally work with such as #320 or #220 (3M)
IMG-4720.jpg

The insides of the elevator pieces look flat to the naked eye.
IMG-4721.jpg

But a few swipes on the sanding block show that they aren't perfectly flat.  The dark areas indicate surfaces that are lower than the surrounding areas.  The dark areas along the edge will result in gaps which are difficult to correct.
IMG-4722.jpg

IMG-4723.jpg

So I keep sanding until the all of the dark areas are gone.
IMG-4727.jpg

The parts secured with just tape and finger pressure reveal the lack of gaps along the edge, which is the desired result.  The elevators can now be glued together.
IMG-4728.jpg

At this point, I decided to rough fit the major components together by tape to check overall fit.  There may be some significant gaps that I'll need to pay attention to.  Particularly along the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer fillet and at the wing roots.  But overall, fit looks pretty good.
IMG-4729.jpg

IMG-4730.jpg

IMG-4731.jpg

This is a LARGE aircraft with heckuva wingspan.  It will NOT fit into my Ikea Detolf display case.

1 hour ago, HB252 said:

I think, seeing the overal plane view, that you are 100 percent right in removing the oil canning efecto.

I wiil do the same whit the mine

Agreed, I found some D3A1 shots in my Random folder, super super crisp and they show a very smooth-skinned aircraft.

Pc9uj7A.jpg

gGfsjHp.jpg

1QUGUwM.jpg

Some birds just seemed more prone to oil-canning, maybe the Type 99 wasn't one of them?

Epic job with a fussy kit, John, as always. Not gonna lie though, can't wait till you bust out that airbrush!

- Thomaz

9 hours ago, HB252 said:

I think, seeing the overal plane view, that you are 100 percent right in removing the oil canning efecto.

I wiil do the same whit the mine

Thank you!  It's a preferential thing.  I had this mind as soon as I saw the test sprues from Infinity.  I didn't think it was going to be as tedious as it has been.  The sanding process degrades the existing rivets and panel lines so I've had to rescribe every panel line and use a needle to poke each and every rivet at least once.  But I'm pretty far along and it helps that I can space out the tedious fill/sand process with other stuff like the engine and cockpit.

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Lovely progress, John!

Kev

Thank you Kevin!  It's a very interesting aircraft.  Very elegant looking with the elliptical wings.

7 hours ago, TAG said:

Agreed, I found some D3A1 shots in my Random folder, super super crisp and they show a very smooth-skinned aircraft.

Some birds just seemed more prone to oil-canning, maybe the Type 99 wasn't one of them?

Epic job with a fussy kit, John, as always. Not gonna lie though, can't wait till you bust out that airbrush!

- Thomaz

O M G... what beautiful photos!  May I ask where these were from???  They look to be very early production or maybe a prototype.  Look at the reflection of the hinomaru on wing in that first photo!  And more evidence of the single hatch between the windscreen and engine!

3 hours ago, TankBuster said:

Looks great and way better that you smoothed it out. Cheers.

Thank you!  I like it too.

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

It really is a lot of work, but it does look very good smoothed out.  I think it's time well spent.  How does the canopy fit look? Will you keep it open?

Matt 

Thank Matt!  It looks hand-crampingly good, doesn't it? :D   Canopy seems to fit well.  I want to have the pilot's canopy closed and bombardier's open.  Toyed with the idea of sawing the single piece closed canopy but I don't think that will be necessary as the separate clear parts seem to fit well.  If I don't glue the pilot's canopy into place, I can pose it open or closed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 12:43 PM, Thunnus said:

Thanks for the comments guys!  Keep em coming!

Hmmm... that's an interesting theory about the ground crew.  I just accepted the photographic evidence of the hatch without theorizing how it got there.  It didn't look like a crude repair to me.  So I did some digging and found some more "evidence" of the single hatch with rivets...

The starboard side of the same aircraft, which lessens the chances that both sides were repaired.

80-G-32441-2.jpg

A photo from Ryan Toews article on D3A Center of Gravity Markings shows a different D3A1 with the single riveted hatch.

D3-A-CG-Markings-Page-2-2.jpg

And FWIW, Hasegawa's 1/48 scale D3A1 model depicts the single hatch per side.

fd6afdf1-5ce3-4e9c-8bd2-2bc5e75c43ae-Pag

I have not found any photographic evidence of the double hatches but there is this photo of a D3A2 with double "openings", which can be covered by the single hatch shown above.

D3-A-T3-261-Munda-43.jpg

Looks as though it was hit by cluster munitions!

On 7/13/2023 at 6:37 PM, TAG said:

Pc9uj7A.jpg

gGfsjHp.jpg

1QUGUwM.jpg

- Thomaz

GREAT photos!  I've never seen hem before.  What are those two structures on the top of the wing outboard the landing gear?